Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovery from Legato NetWare Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

brackovic

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2004
NW Server windows, NW Client NetWare.
On the NW Server side I can see indexes for NetWare client, as well as all volumes and their contents for adequate NetWare client’s savesets.

I was trying to do recover from NetWare Client with several different files and always got the error that there is no volume for requested file. When I issue file verify, I got the message “Unknown volume” as the results of required volumes for specific file and if I start recovery process, Client browses, doesn’t find anything, waits 30 seconds and browses again.
ON NW Server side in monitor windows I can see one session with browsing from NetWare Client.

Finally I have terminated the process.

Restore from other windows clients in the system works perfectly (both recovery and direct recovery).

Can someone suggest me what to do??

I have restarted services on both machines (Server and Client), reloaded NW modules on NetWare, but without results.

S

This looks either like a bug or a missing synchronization between the file and the media index. Don't know where exactly to start i probably would try "nsrim -X".

Du you have the patches for the NEtware client (to V 4.22.02) installed ?

Well, on the beginning, during the installation I have found that there are problems even with installation of NW Client for NetWare version 4.22 on the NetWare 6.5 SP3.
This problem was (and I think it isn’t yet) documented within Legato (but there is the patch!) and I found the solution on the NetWare support site. So, I have contacted Legato and got the NSRLIB.NLM version 4.22.05 patch.
So I have just thet patch installed on the NetWare client.

Should I install some another patch(es) for successful restore?
Which ones?

S

The problem brackovic refers to does exist. However, the reason for the update is a that the NW/Netware client will not even load due to a duplicate variable name. Consequently you would not be able to even use the product in at all. This, in my opinion, does not apply here.

What is than solution in this case?
Now we have great situation: excellent backups, but no restores …

I understand your impatience but please, be fair.

If you (or somebody else) did not not change anything, most likely NW knows save sets where it can't find the volumes any more. Did you check the media index and/or restart the NW server in the meantime at all?

Today I’m going to recheck all indexes and to restart NW server.
As usually, one problem doesn’t appear alone, so yesterday additional problem with tape library occurred at same customer site ?.
Hope I’m solve both of them …

I'm having the same problem with Networker user for lotus notes any commands anyone recomends in doing without causing any issues
Thanks

Had the same problem with NW 7.2 on Unix. I had to apply a "jumbo" patch to the UNIX NW 7.2 server and that fixed every thing. Legato changed the way it handled Netware backups in 7.2 because Netware still backups up in 2 GB chunks and this caused problems with restores from the Netware client. I would suspect there is also a patch for the Windows 7.2 NW server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back