Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovery from clone once original is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BungleBear

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
We run a retention of 1 month on our vtl.
Every weekend we run a full backup with the 1 month retention then we clone the vtl data and send the clones offsite (clone retention is 3 months).
I have been trying to get a recovery of data older than the 1 month so the vtl copy is gone.
Using the Recovery GUI it is not showing the cloned copy for recovery.
Would the only way to get the data back be to run a manual commands or is there a way to get the cloned data to appear in the GUI as others need to be able to run run restores and i dont really want them running commands every time they need to.

change the mode of the original saveset to "suspect"

you can use the nmc or the command "nsrmm" to do this.

That will only work if the original is still there.
The original has expired and the tapes has been re-used.

Hello,

Which NW are you running ?

I think there was a fix for this bug. Clones retention must be the same than originals. Using a longer retention for a clone must result in the 'automatic' modification of retention for the original.

But if you have not passed the 3 months, savesets informations must be visible with a mminfo command against your tapes...

Denis

Since a while you can set the retention time/periods individually. The most likely issue is that the browse policy expired and the index does not exist any longer. Verify this by querying the media db for the save set status.

So you can do two things:
- either rebuilding the index with the scanner command
- or run a save set recover to a temp directory and get the files from there (most likely faster)

I think your situation is not quite clear to me :
are the savesets still in your networker media database ?

If so you can recover from them e.g. usiong a saveset recover like 605 proposed : recover -S ssid/cloneid -d <alternative_path> with the cloneid you can select the instance of your saveset you still have ( the clone not the original).

If the savesets are no longer listed in your media database you have to import them by cataloging the media using the scanner command.

yeah the backup shows via a saveset recover but i was hoping there would be a way to see individual files without having to recover bigger sections.
The only way i can think of doing it is to increase the retention/browse policy with the VTL so the clones will have the same browse policy then manually alter the policy for the VTL tapes again.

To my opinion your vtl is "out of sync" withthe mediadb of your networker. By changeing the vtl properties will change nothing with the browse/retention policies of your existing savesets- That can be done with nsrmm.
If your cloned saveset is already expired you need to know the ssid and the cöloneid. You can query them with mminfo.
Now you can extend the retention time :
nsrmm -S ssid/cloneid -e "2 days"
then you change the mode of the saveset :
nsrmm -o !recyclable -S ssid/cloneid
now you extend the browse time
nsrmm -S ssid/cloneid -w "1 day"
finally you place the clonemedia in a device without mounting it and catalog the saveset:
scanner -i -S ssid devicepath
after this your saveset should be browsable again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back