Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering Word file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBall

Programmer
May 23, 2001
GB
Hi,
last night I created a large Word document, when we had a power cut - I hadn't saved the document.
I assumed when I next opened Word, it would pick up the file I had been working on from the temporary file it created (it is nearly 2005 after all).
Anyway, I found the temporary file this morning with the date/timestamp that matched when I was working on it and the last modified time was only a couple of minutes before the system went down.
I copied it to a new document to be safe, the opened Word.
No mention of a document to be recovered - nothing at all.
I tried opeing the .tmp document, but Word didn't recognise it and tried to import it as a Turkish language document!
I renamed my copy of the document to a .doc and tried to open it - same thing happened.

Is there anything that I can do to recover my document as Word seems incapable of recognising it's own.

Thanks.

Regards,
Graham

try changing the file extention to ".txt" and open it in Notepad. you will have a lot of Word formating code & sumbols in it, but you may be able to cut and paste the info you need into a new file that Word can open.

Try selecting the tmp file and use Open and Repair. If that fails, try the Recover Text from Any File option.

Regards: tf1

Thanks.
The recover text from any file option did work, but it seemed to have everything that had been typed before the system went down - corrections, backspaces, everything !
But at least the text was there and we finally made sense of it, although it may have been quicker to start again.
B-(

I'm amazed that in this day and age, Word can't work with its own documents better.

Regards,
Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back