Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering from from mouse cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
AU
Is there an alternative to rebooting, when a mouse cursor 'freezes'?

I've never discovered one.

I normally set it to wagtail.ani - that way I know when it has frozen.

<<set it to wagtail.ani - that way I know when it has frozen>>
Sounds intriguing, but I have NO idea how I could emulate that. Can you help me with what steps to follow ?

If your control panel pops up a dialog, do the following

1) Right click on task bar, select properties
2) Advanced tab
3) Under start menu & taskbar, select Expand Control Panel
4) Click OK to close

Now select Start/Settings/Control Panel/Mouse
Select Pointers Tab
Click on Browse button
Select wagtail.ani

If you don't have wagtail.ani, get a copy from where you can find all sorts of animated cursors.

Sorry - you don't have to expand the control panel in the menu. You can open up explorer and just click on control panel.

Not sure if this is resolved after all this time but I would say the answer is no.
I would also question the use of changing the cursor.

The problem can occur in countless situations. Often Windows is looking for an unresolved path or even something like crosslinked files can lock the mouse.

Has it always happened or did it start after something you did ?

Try and replicate the error in safe mode. If you can't, the problem is probably down to an incorrect driver, corrupt or broken software installation etc.
You can then try a selective startup. Deselect all the programs and, one by one, set them to run on startup.

Its a long-winded approach but can bring results.

Other possible causes are damaged hard drive sectors, failing or poorly seated Ram and even general overheating of the system.

Guthro

<<Has it always happened or did it start after something you did ?>> I can't nail down any particular time or action; except possibly that if the PC has been booted with ethernet open and the whole system left a while before any activity was to start, I might not be able to see the cursor anywhere, as it is not responding to mouse movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back