Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recovering from a Disk failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragsug

MIS
May 25, 2004
US
Hi
I have a 20 Gig IBM laptop drive which has failed completely. I can see it as a slave on a laptop. The moment I click on it, it gives a clicking noise. I can see the data but cannot access the same. I even tried ghosting but it reports read failures. Is there a way I can salvage this data. I have been to Drivesavers in the past but they are very expensive. Any pointers will be appreciated.
Ragu

It sounds as though the disk is on its last legs. the clicking is for certain because you trying to access damaged part of disk. I am afraid the suggestion above may kill the drive completely. you may have to try a data recovery company, try or both from what i know can deal with problems like yours.

Thx for your replies. Mijan is probably right if any attempt to repair makes it worse. I have asked for a quote from computer-recovery.com but in the past I know that these guys are very expensive. The last time for a similar issue, I paid 2 Grand for DriveSavers. They did recover the data fully. This time, the user is not very, very desperate but 4 years of work is in that drive. Thx
Ragu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back