Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering emails in Outlook Express after a user profile corrupts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
GB
Hi all,

About two weeks ago my user profile corrupted in Win2k pro. I made myself a new profile and things seem to be going okay (although the list of profiles doesn't seem to match the files that exist in 'documents and settings' but that's a different issue).

Basically, I need to be able to access old emails that were in Outlook Express (set up through M$ Office). This is pretty important for me to achieve but I'm currently absolutely stuck for options.

Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mata
Animations with a twisted sense of humour:
The Other Side

Do you mean Outlook Express or Outlook? (Outlook comes with Office, Outlook Express with win2k). If Outlook Express, you can use the import mechanism - need to point it at your old profile (when you said corrupt....) - somewhere like C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{90B064F5-7B44-4C16-A65B-4907C3746B7F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express, where username is your old profile username.

It is Outlook Express.

Thanks, I'll have a go at what you suggest.

What is the file type for Outlook Express emails?

I tried searching for .eml, .dbx, .bloomin'-everything-I-could-think-of with no luck at all to see if I could locate the files with the file search facility but with no luck. I couldn't even find the files that are stored in OE in the new user account...

I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks,

Mata

OE uses various .dbx files in the folder I mentioned - here's what's in mine:-

Cleanup.log
Deleted Items.dbx
Drafts.dbx
Folders.dbx
Inbox.dbx
Offline.dbx
Outbox.dbx
Pop3uidl.dbx
Sent Items.dbx

Hi,

Many thanks Wolluf. I've found out where the problem was but your post pointed the way.

For some reason Win2k Pro hides the 'local settings' folder when you're in the Windows explorer (which is why you can't just browse to the file when you're trying to import the old emails) so you have to manually put in the address you would like into the explorer (not fogetting that a space is %20). So the file you need to go to is

C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\username\Local%20Settings\

(where 'username' is the account name)

And find the file from there. The numbered file's title changes per user. Once the file is revealed it's easy to navigate through the files ( 'Application Data\Identities\{long number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express' ) then copy the files you find here.

Once you're there you need to create a folder somewhere that you'll be able to browse to in Outlook Express (ie. a folder that won't be hidden by Win2K). Paste the files into this new folder then use Outlook Express to import the emails from there.

:) I'm a very happy bunny! Thanks!

I found another thread where someone else was having the same problem so I'll go copy this across...

Cheers,

Mata
Animations with a twisted sense of humour
The Other Side

Mata,

You can turn off 'hiding system and hidden files' - its a couple of options in folder options, view. I don't use explorer (generally) - and what I usually use - Servant Salamander defaults to showing all files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back