Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering deleted items

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent14

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2004
US
Is it possible to recover emails that have been removed from the Deleted Items folder? I need to monitor a user's emails and have no way of seeing what has been deleted because the user is deleting, then removing email from the Deleted Items folder. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You can recover emails from Outlook 2003 client, by selecting tools - recover deleted mail. The exchange server holds deleted items on server for approx 30 days if i'm not mistaken.

Thanks for your response newtoitall. Can I do it from another computer with the Exchange account on it, or does it have to be the computer that the person is using?

It has to be while you are logged in as that person to either Outlook or Outlook Web Access.

If your goal is to monitor every message a user receives, why not simply forward a copy of every message to another mailbox?

I have that set up already. The issue is the outgoing messages. I have not figured out a way to copy all of the outgoing messages.

When I try to use "Recover deleted items" it is greyed out.

Give this a try....

Recovering Permanently Deleted Mails (Including Sub-Folders)

This document gives the procedure to recover shift deleted [permanently deleted] mails from Microsoft Outlook.

Procedure:

1) First go to Run and type regedit
2) Go to:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\EXCHANGE\CLIENT\OPTIONS registry key.
3) Right click options and add new DWORD VALUE (data type is REG_DWORD) and then right click and rename to DumpsterAlwaysOn. It is case sensitive.
4) Then rights click and modify and make the value 1 to turn the Recover Deleted Items menu choice on for all folders or enter 0 to turn it off.
5) Then go to Outlook , choose "Recover deleted items" option from the Tools
Menu to get back your "permanently deleted" mails!

Note : This procedure can recover mails which were deleted by pressing shift+del in the past 4 days only.

/A

Thanks epochap. I will give this a try. Stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back