Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering Contacts from Exchange??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurio71

Technical User
Oct 1, 2009
MX
Hi all, I need to recover Outlook contacts for a user. I synced Outlook wrongly with ACT! (2-way) which dumped personal contacts in ACT. The office ACT! admin then accidently deleted them. I don't have an ACT! backup because they were imported and deleted the same day. There aren't any records/histories in ACT! as to which names were deleted just how many. Outlook is empty too. Exchange is my only option. Any advice welcomed.

Thanks Chris

Can anyone recommend an Exmerge alternative?

You will want to restore a backup of the Exchange database to a Recovery Storage Group and then Exmerge the contacts out of the recovered database in the RSG.

The only place you can find your contacts is in a previous version of the Exchange database, unless you can find them in the Recover Deleted Items tool in the user's Outlook.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thanks ShackDaddy, the user lost the contacts 12 days ago, I didn't want to use Exmerge, nervous - never done it before, so I used a .edb to .pst program. Worked a treat.

ExMerge would not have helped you anyway, that just exports or imports from the existing database and you needed to pull from an old copy of the database that still had the contacts in it.

I am curious about which program you used. I use Kernel For Exchange EDB to PST. Works great. Which program did you use?

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Same program.

Level 1 Support Technician

BTW: If it happens in the future, here's a simple tip:

Also, the names of deleted contacts in ACT! would be in the History of the My Record of the user who did the delete

You should train them to do a backup before a mass-delete or mass-update [smile2]

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust
Join the LinkedIN ACT! Fanatics Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back