Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering a specified File in Tape 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsnafe911

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2002
QA
Guys
I found out that i couldnt see any entry for a specific client for 3 months ( From March till June) and i had to recover an important file in that period. I ran mminfo and got the SSID number and scanned the Tape successfully but i couldnt see it in the Recover GUI so i decided to try to recover the file directly from the Tape. Can somone tell me if there is a way to recover a single file from a tape and direct it to a different destination than the original destination

Try performing a save set recovery. You can specify what file in the saveset you want to recover, and you can also specify a path to recover the files to. If you want to use GUI, you can do this wuth nwrecover (UNIX), or NetWorker User GUI (Windows)

From command line, you can try:

recover -d <destination dir> -s <backup server> -S <ssid> <path\file>

A second method is to use the scanner command. Look at the man pages for scanner. Specifically, use the scanner and uasm combination.

For example:

scanner -S <SSID> \\.\tape0 | uasm -rv -m c:\autoexec.bat=d:\temp

will scan the tape for the saveset identified by SSID, and then try to find c:\autoexec.bat. When found, it will read the data and recover it to d:\temp

What are your client browse and retention times, prior to running the scanner up these to two years (just for the period of this exercise) then rnu the scanner.

also what scanner command are you using ? Regards
KeefB

[lightsaber]

wallace88
Thank you for your help BUT unfortunetly both of those methods didnt work i tried running scanner command it went with no errors and it says that it scanned the exact file size (i know the size from the Log)but when i tried to go to recover (GUI) i still dont see the file?! and the second option couldnt get the right command syntax!!

Keefb
can you tell me if i change the retention period on the client will i be able to see the missing files!?
i used

Scanner -i -S Save_set_Id device_Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back