Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recovering a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

link9

Programmer
Nov 28, 2000
US
Hello all --

Anyone out there have a good experience with a hard drive recovery program that they might want to share with me?

My hard drive crashed last week, and that fits nicely right at the top of my list of things that I would not like to happen.

Obviously, I'd like to get as much as possible off of this drive as possible, and I'm not too keen on going to a data recovery company if I don't absolutely have to.

Basically, it would get to the Windows2000 startup splash, and then throw a blue screen 7B error.

So, I daisy chained it onto a working box, and the computer will list the drive in the drive list, but cannot access it -- saying "parameter incorrect" when I click on it.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)
paul
penny1.gif
penny1.gif

If you used FAT32, you might try Spin-Rite by Steve Gibson; it's rated quite highly. While you're there, you may wish to expand your knowledge of your computer and the Internet by reading his articles on (home) computer protection while online.

If you used NTFS, you're probably in quite a bit of trouble. You may find help here: but I doubt it will access a failed drive. This link, found after a quick search of google may be what you need, however:
Never heard of them before, but they talk pretty about their NTFS recovery tool.

DosMaster

frtree. It's $300. and has done the trick where others failed. Sort of expensive, but well worth it.

DOS based utility. Slow and thorough. In fact, I'm still recovering files right now. It's been at it for days.
penny1.gif
penny1.gif

Drive Rescue - the hard drive discovery and emergency tool - freeware

Drive Rescue is a data recovery tool for Windows(R) 95, 98, ME, NT and 2000 users. Additionally, it can be used as a disk editor.
What Drive Rescue can do for you:

Find any lost and deleted data on your hard disk even if the partition table is lost!
Discover important file system tables of your hard disk, including paritition table, boot record, FAT and file/directory records.

What Drive Rescue can NOT do for you:

Find any data on a physically damaged hard disk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back