Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering a corrupt file

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyshield5

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2002
US
I have a user using Win98 who has a Word Perfect file that won't open. File is intact, but comes up corrupt, no matter how you try to open it. Is there a backup image on the hard drive to recover this file? If so, where?

Thanks

It might be worth looking in your temp folder if its a newish file and you haven't deleted your temp file it may be still lurking

You can run sfc (system file checker). Start>run. then type sfc.

Glenn

Disregard my previous post... I misread your post and sfc will not work for that type of file. [glasses]

There may be a backup file in the same directory if autobackup was enabled. But if he/she has used WP for anything else in the meantime the backup has been overwritten.

WP encodes stuff, so you will probably have a really rough time recovering it. Embedded in the file is all the formatting information, fonts, and printer commands. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I'm sure you have solved your problem, but for those who might be browsing....Run Scandisk or Norton Disk Doctor to make sure it's not a corrupt file [as far as the system goes]. If they flag the file as corrupt, let them restore if possible and try WP again. If they don't flag the file, then it's only corrupted as a WP file. The only suggestion I have is to run a text extractor on the file. You will lose all your formatting, but if the file is big, it might be worth it. I have used Microsoft Publisher to do this several times. It works quite well. I'm sure ther are other programs that will do the same. If you have Publisher and need instructions, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back