Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recovered unreadable data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfplamen

Technical User
Mar 3, 2006
HU
Hi!
My computer crashed when i was copying files between my two hdd-s (seagate 200gb sata, maxtor 160gb ata) and after rebooting winxp just didn't want to load (error message for not finding bootable drive/os or something like that). After I plugged my 200GB drive with the system files and all my important stuff into another pc I couldn't even see its contents
So here's what I did:
1. restored all of my lost files with getdataback ntfs but couldn't manage to successfuly open/use any of them anymore.
2. tried ontrack and wordfix on my corrupted files with no avail
3. fixed the bootsector with Partition Table Doctor and after rebooting chkdsk (or scandisk?) made the lost files available again but they are exacly like the same corrupt files extracted before.
Its really weird, like COMPLETELY RANDOM DATA WITH THE SAME NAMES, FILE SIZES AND EXTENSIONS I had before.
Can I somehow fix this problem or have I permanently f*cked up my hdd?
PLEASE HELP! I need to restore some really important documents and temp files.

Assuming that you have not copied recovered data into same drive, it looks like there is a problem in the disk (Primary Defect List table). In another word it looks like there is a firmware corruption, in such a case I do not think there is any software that can fix this problem.
Unfortunately, you may need to send your drive to a data recovery company!
Here is a list of some companies you can try (Data Recovery Direct (Regent Data Recovery

I don't have that kind of money :((
Do you think updating my motherboard's BIOS and hdd's firmware
will prevent happening something like this again or should I buy a new HDD?

I suggest you use data recovery software such as EASEUS DataRecoveryWizard to recover files.

Download demo version:
You can use "AdvancedRecovery" to scan your corrupted partition. After the scan is complete, the lost file will be displayed in DataRecoveryWizard, you can select them and recover them.

URGENTRECOVERY® Professional can detect drives even if they are not visible in explorer, supports long filenames as well as compressed and fragmented files. The full directory structure of the drive is displayed (Even on NTFS Drives where it is recoverable) and the built in search feature makes finding files much easier. The Recovery Wizard allows even novice users to successfully recover lost data.

Boot to Windows setup disk and hit R for recovery console.

Run chkdsk /r

Boot to Windows setup disk and install Windows in a new directory called c:\winnt

OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back