Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover WinXP Product Code using DOS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesofg

Technical User
Oct 10, 2002
AU
I have a laptop with a corrupt WinXP registry. It will not open Windows or Disaster Recovery. I need to recover the existing WinXP Product Key before I do a clean install.

Can anyone advise of a DOS program that will do this?

The original WinXP CD is no longer available, after the owner's ex-husband cleared out with it

It simply is not possible. There is no storage in plaintext of the CD key anywhere: not in the SAM database and not in the registry.

There is a tool out there (jellybean something) that can get the key, but it wont work unless you can boot into the OS.

And I'm pretty sure it only shows part of the key.

Both of those tools would be tough to use if the machine doesn't boot up fully.

OK, my brain freeze here - totaly blanked on the dos part - still AIDA 16 can do audits and perhaps can get the key like aida32 can.

Claudius (What certifications??)

I have not tested this, but you could try using BartsPE to boot and then use either the RockXP or Magic Jelly Bean Key Finder both of which will recover your full installation code.

I'm guessing from your comments that you cannot get into the recovery console. If you can then take a look at the following :

Also just to let people know that Aida32/16 are no more for details. However you can still download from places like
Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Many thanks to all who posted, especially Greg Palmer who had the right idea.

I made a BartPE pre-environment CD - very simple to do. I added a KeyViewerPE whcih Bart supplied. It is a modified keyviewer program, which lets you look in any WINDOWS directory in any partition.

On the laptop that was corrupt and would not load Windows XP, I partitioned it with PM8 from DOS, then did a Ghost image of the corrupt system into the new D: partition, and then a clean install of WinXP from one of my CDs on C: drive.

I then uploaded the image file over my home network, and restored it to a spare partition on my HDD, ran Bart's keyviewerPE targetting Windows in this partition, and up came the original Product Key.

Many thanks to Bart - what a brilliant programmer !!

Then I could not activate XP because the key was already in use ( of course) , so a phone call to Microsoft sorted this out.

Thanks again for all your assistance and comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back