Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover SBS2008 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snotty54

Technical User
Jun 28, 2010
KY
Dear All:

Haven't posted on here in a while, everything had been running smoothly. Had a bit of bad luck and I've had a server hardware crash. I do have an SBS2008 backup so should be able to recover. I purchased new hardware and built a new server but prob with mb will have to exchange for new one (long story). I've taken one of my older machines that is powerful enough to run SBS2008, at least for the short term, and configured it with 4 new 500gb disks (same size as original server) and set up Raid 5 exactly the way I had it on old server. I booted from the SBS2008 install disk, then chose "repair" and hooked up the external drive usb connected back up to the machine, and run through the recover procedure, but have been getting the classic "THE DISK THAT IS SET AS ACTIVE IN BIOS IS TOO SMALL TO RECOVER THE ORIGINAL SYSTEM DISK. REPLACE THE DISK WITH A LARGER ONE AND RETRY THE RESTORE OPERATION (0x80042407). Since the RAID 5 is showing setup properly on the boot, and all 4 disks show in the RAID config utility, and the bios of the computer, my assumption was an "inf" file was missing for the raid array, which apparently the recover back up can't "see". I've tried the original mb disk, then newer "inf" files from the mb manufacturer's web site, and tried just about every "inf" file I could, no luck. I went in to bios and set the raid 5 array as the first boot option, no difference.

Any one have a suggestion on how I can recover my world?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

OK, last query on the issue of resurrecting my sbs2008 production server. I've wanted to get the SBS as healthy as possible for the migration over to Serv2012/Exchange2013. The last remaining errors are:

1) Event ID 302 / "The User Accounts cannot be added into GroupPolicy "AllSBSUsers". Please verify the GroupPolicy "AllSBSUsers" exists"
2) Event 13042 / Self update is not working
3) Event 10010 / The server did not register with DCOM with the required timeout

I've followed everything online for correcting the group policy issue with no change so far.
WSUS has never worked on this implementation of SBS2008 but I suspect it won't matter in a migration. I suspect I would have to uninstall and reinstall it to get it to work
I had managed to eliminate the DCOM error with two Network reports over 3 days but it has reared its ugly little head again. I suspect this error will also not matter in a migration.

Dave, do you feel I will have to resolve any of the above before a migration?

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Dave. I'll be rebuilding the server with the new mb this weekend and reloading winser12 and exchange 2013 again, and continuing test mode. I'm going to follow a different install guide to see how I make out. I'll post my experience. I note there are no folders for Windows Server 2012 nor Exchange 2013 on Tek Tips yet, so I'll sneak in my experiences on this thread.

Scott

You're right, quite a few out there! I meant here on tek-tips though. Well, just installed new mb and after a few hickups, I've got the board up and just updated the bios. Now that it'll boot, I'm going to install the rest of the ram (just one 4gb stick in for boot up and bios update) and if boot succeeds with all the ram (now 32gb) then I'll begin loading winServ12 again.

Poof! There it is. Thanks Dave.

I'm sure I'll be one of the "needy". There seems to be an increasing amount of information from the tech community on Exchange 2013, and Win Serv 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back