Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover Root Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutidjo

MIS
Nov 29, 2001
US
Hi,
I am new with solaris. We had purchased a sun ultra 5workstation last year, preinstalled with Solaris 8. I had set a password during installation, but looks like teh password is not working since I cannot log into the machine.

is there any way to reset the password, other than the cd-rom? (Don't have the cd-rom/media kit, since everything is on the hard ddrive). Can I reset the password using OS files on the HD?

Much thanks.

You will need to boot from a CDROM to edit the /etc/passwd file to remove the password on the root user. There is no easy way around that.
Can you download an image of Solaris from SUN and burn another CDROM ?

Make the Cd as mikeclark told you. When you start the installing do an update not a new install it will reset the password. You can not change and root files without the root password.

Thanks for your help. i guess I have to go out and get a cd-rom burner.

It might be cheaper to buy the media. Sometimes you can find something on ebay, or borrow someone elses.

Also, if you have a support contract with Sun, they will ship you the media...

You don't need to do an install at all, just get a CD
and do a boot -s cdrom from the ok prompt.
When you get to the prompt, you can mount your existing
root filesystem into a temporary location and remove the
current root password. For example, if your root is
c0t0d0s0, then
mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a
Now edit /a/etc/shadow
save
umount /a
sync
reboot like normal
There will not be a root password if you removed it, so
just set a new one.