Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recover password

Status
Not open for further replies.

issakeitala

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2003
US
Somehow, I can't get back into XP Pro; none of the login names and passwords work. The drive is formatted fat32. How can I recover my administrator password?

Thanks

Try a blank password as Administrator in Safe Mode, if no luck with that, you can try here.

As you have a FAT32 file system, you could just boot to a Win98 bootdisk and rename the SAM file in the C:\Windows\system32\config folder to something else. Of course this will remove all accounts on the system and you will need to rebuild them.

Before you forget your passwords do this.

"To create a password reset disk". (See Help and Support)

For other alternatives just search this forum (or Google) for "Administrator Password".

Thanks guys!

I deleted the sam file. The result is when I boot, I get the following message from a message box entitled Isass.exe - System Error: "Security accounts manager initialization failed because of the following error: a device attached to the system is not functioning. Error Status: 0xc0000001. Please click ok to shutdown this system and reboot into Safe Mode, check the event logfor more detailed information."

I click ok, get a quick empty logon windows, and the system reboots istself. When I restart in Safe Mode, I get the same error message as previously, and when I click ok, the system reboots again.

Does this mean that this works differently from what we had in Win 2k Pro?

Deleting the SAM file is the last place to start. Sigh. Editing the SAM file is in the middle of places to begin.

Restore Windows.

How do you start restoring windows in this case? Remember, I can't get in.
I tried reinstalling in the same directory with the repair option. That did not work. I still could not log in.

Thanks

If you can boot from CD, the links earlier will get you in.

If you cannot, please advise.

I am not sure we're on the same page. My goal is to recover the passwords. I was able to get in by installing a second instance of XP. That is how I got in to delete the sam file. I know that because we're dealing with fat32 I could have done the same thing by just booting from a floppy (win98 for example). The question will still remain: how do I reset the password?

Thanks

316751 - "Security Accounts Manager Initialization Failed" Error Message When You Start Windows XP

To reset the password when you eventually get in type Control Userpasswords2 in the Start Run box. Of course you have to get into XP first of all.

You may have to delete any user and create a new one with the name you want and new password. You may be able to make use of My Computer/ Properties/ Advanced/ User Profiles/ Settings to copy your username folder contents to a new username that is created.

See "To copy a user profile" in Help and Support.

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Thanks. The MS support link is where the answer is. I'll let you know how it all workss out.

OK...copying a profile is something that has interested me for a while so I went to the MS support link above. It tells me to go to the ADVANCED tab under UserAccounts in Control Panel. I don't have any tabs under UserAccounts in Control Panel.

Am I missing something or is there some way to turn this on?

Jeff

Are you logged on as an Administrator?

Alternatively you could try typing Control UserPasswords2 in the Start Run Box (requires Admin rights too), then click on Advanced in the first window, and then Advanced in the second window. This will lead you to Local Users and Groups where you can create a new user.

You can also get to Local Users and Groups (again Admin) by Right clicking on the My Computer Icon and selecting Manage.

There's probable half a dozen other ways too, but they will all require you to be an Administrator.

I guess we're still talking about Win XP. What's the deal with the administrator user in XP Home? It doesn't exist, and you can't create it.
My users have this application where they are forced to log in as administrator (user name), in order to have access to some of their own working files. I have to get to the bottom of that. For the time being though, only the users with XP Pro can log in as administrator.
Is there a work around to creating a user called administrator on XP Home?

Administrator exists on Home - but you can only get to it via Safe Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back