Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recover images off of apple HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

johng75

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2004
US
im fiance has an old G4 powerbook that will no longer boot...

took it into the apple store and they said unless the system boots they can not recover any data?
they said they cant even take the HD out, put it into another machine, and attempt to recover... (needles to say i went off)

ended up coming home, took the HD out myself, plugged it in, booted Ubuntu and was able to use the Nautilus command (file mamager)

i could browse the entire drive, see all the images, open all the images, but it would not let me save, save-as, or copy the images???

makes no sence... if i can see them and open them, why cant i copy or save them elsewhere?

any ideas?

I agree that doesn't make a lot of sense. I suspect that there must be some permissions problem. Perhaps when you browse the drive, file manager sees that you don't have write permission (or perhaps capability with that file system type) and defaults to not letting you perform the action. In other words, a case of the machine is smarter than the man, not realizing you want to copy.

I would try the following:
create a folder, e.g. macDrive in your home folder
the use the mount command with sudo to mount the drive to this location. Use a command such as:
Code:
sudo mount /dev/sdb1/ /home/user/macDrive/

Of course you will need to substitute the drive and volume (I assume the 2nd hdd will be sdb and it will be the first partition) and your user id. Then you should be able to access the drive through a terminal and then use the cp command to copy the desired files to another location.

If nothing else, using the terminal should give you a better indication of the error if you run into problems.

Not to overstep my bounds, but the Apple Care tech you were talking to didnt know what he was talking about if that is what he told you.

Did you or him try booting into Target Disc Mode? This kind of makes it like a USB hard drive without having to take it out of the case.

Target Disc Mode:
That would be where I would start. If that was already tried we can look at other options if Noway's didnt already do the trick.

"You don't know what you got, till it's gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

thankx Noway2 and DrB0b...

Target mode? you mean like if i want to shoot it with a gun? lol

that is a totally new term to me... ill give it a shot and see what happens...

a room full of blue shirts and all they really wanted me to do was buy a new one, and they could see if they could recover the old computer files to it :/ ...

a room full of blue shirts and all they really wanted me to do was buy a new one, and they could see if they could recover the old computer files to it :/ ...
My mother got a MAC. The Blue Shirts made a real cluster out of her PC trying to get the files (pictures, emails, address book, etc) off it.

Code:
1. sudo cp -R /path/to/macdrives /home/user/newdirectory
2. cd ~/Desktop
3. sudo chown MUX.MUX *
where MUX = your Ubuntu user name...

if the above does not work take a look at the following (you will have to register to see the threads):

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back