Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover from an old client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intervoice123

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2006
US
Hi
I had a Sun Solaris 9 client (on the DMZ) called tomahawk. I used to backup this server in the past. The server died and I had to bring this up as tomahawk2. I would like to restore just the data (/home/ftp) from the old client tomahawk to tomahawk2. I added the name tomahawk and its FQDN in the alias field of tomahawk2. nslookup, ping, rpcinfo work fine from tomahawk2. I just cannot get any old savesets associated with tomahawk. Can you someone please assist. Thx for your time.
Ragu

You should do a directed recover :

first you delete the alias entries "tomahawk" from the new client object tomahawk2.
Then you have to create the old clinet objekt tomahawk again, hopefully all the cfi records are still on the networker server.
In the remoter access attributes of client tomahawk you add e.g. root@tomahawk2.
Now you can make a directed recover using nwrecover from client tomahawk to client tomahawk2, select the appropriate folders and go !

The easiest would be to try a directed recover. For the clientdefinition tomahawk, add tomahawk2 under remote access. Then try to start a directed recover from tomahawk2 by specifying tomahawk as the source client and tomahawk2 as the destination.

Thx for your responses. I have *@* in the remote access field. I went to tomahawk2 and ran directed recovery like this.

#recover -s jupiter -c tomahawk -R tomahawk2 -iR /home/ftp/

where jupiter is my backup server and tomahawk is the old ftp client and tomahawk2 is the new ftp client and I need to recover some folders under /home/ftp.

When I add some folders, I do not see it in index. Does this mean the browse has expired? I presume running the below command will help?

#nsrck -L7 -t 07/06/2006 tomahawk
where 07/06/2006 would be the approximate time when the old server died.

Thx
Ragu

For a successful directed recovery you must have the client file index. Find out the SSID of the save set and use mminfo to check the status. If it is not browsable any longer, try a save set recovery but relocate the files to another directory first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back