Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover files deleted from mapped drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaport

MIS
Jan 5, 2000
US
Two computers, Win98 and Win2000 Pro, are connected as peer-to-peer. One folder on Win98 computer is mapped on Win2000 computer as a network drive H. If some files in this H drive are deleted, how do I recover them? I cannot find any deleted file in recycle bins on bothe computer.

What if one folder on Win2000 computer is mapped on Win98 computer and some files are deleted from that network drive?

Seaport

If you delete files on the H: drive(From the Win2k machine) that is mapped to the Win95 machine, they will be gone for good. Same thing works both ways.

James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician
Associate DCSE for Desktops
Associate DCSE for Portables
(D.ell C.ertified S.ystems E.ngineer)

I had a similar problem after mapping a win2k drive to a Linux server, I totally deleted all the files on the win2k box by mistake, went and had a look in the recycle bin and there was nothing. I used a program called GetBack NTFS and it recoved all my files. You will need a similar program for win98 but you should be able to do it.

Tezdread
"With every solution comes a new problem"

I think both of you are correct. The standard file utilities contained withing the MS OS will not recognize the files as being recoverable on mapped drives (unlike local file deletions, where the files are marked for deletion but not eligible to be overwritten until the the Recycle Bin is "emptied"). With mapped files, the Windows file system both marks them as deleted *and* then forgets about them--leaving them eligible for overwriting and therefore complete deletion. This is by design and may not (to my knowledge) be corrected or changed with a registry hack.

However, until such time as the files are physically overwritten on the disk which contained them on the remote system, most third-party file recovery utilites should be able to get them back (by being installed on the local system, in most cases). Time is essential if the system that lost the files has a lot of disk activity--the newly available clusters could be overwritten at any time and afterword will affect the recoverability of the entire files that they used to contain blocks for.

Dallas S. Kelsey, III
DKelsey@CHGLaw.com
Cox, Hodgman, & Giarmarco, P.C.
Troy MI 48084

-you can always recover if you have tape backups and just restore them from there

Well, I don't know if I can agree with this...

I am on a W2k server/client network. I'm administrator. When I delete files/folders form the network drive (server), the deleted files/folders were placed in my local Recycle Bin. However, user reported that when they delete files from the network drive, it's long gone unless they drag it into the Recycle Bin... The behavior shouldn't be different between user/admin when del files/folders... any clue?

-Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back