Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover Exchange Data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg013

MIS
Dec 10, 2001
US
I need help restoring my Exchange data. My server crashed late last week, and all attempts to recover did not work. This is a single server environment, with no additional servers available. I was able to copy the data, but was forced to re-install Windows and Exchange. All the data from the previous installation is available, but I'm not sure what steps to take to restore it.

What is the best method to restore the data in this case? The SIDs have changed, due to a fresh installation. Is it possible to restore the information store in this scenario?

Thank you xmsre. However, that link does not match my situation, as I was unable to restore the AD to the previous state.

Use the same site name, same org name. When you start up, you'll have blank stores. You can use the same process to get the store to mount. You will need to create new user accounts and reconnect the mailboxes.

I've restored the data files from the MDBDATA folder, and it appears that the data is there in Exchange System Manager. But, when I configure Outlook for the mailbox, there is not data. Any ideas?

You'll need to reconnect the mailboxes to the new users you created.

What if I do not have the mdbdate folder, just did a brick layer backup?

Kwok

Then mount blank stores and restore from your brick level backup. Remember, the brick level backup contains a copy of each mailbox. When you mount the blank store, all the mailboxes are empty. When you restore from the brick level backup, you fill them back up one by one. You won't retain single instance of storage, but at least you'll restore operation and all the mail prior to your last backup. Since this is a new blank database, you can't replay the logs to recover mail since your last backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back