Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover deleted messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMGuy

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to recover deleted e-mail messages from Outlook 2K? The messages already have been deleted from Deleted Items.

Thanks.

JP

Sorry dude..Your messages are gone..Its like emptying the recycle bin

regards
MP

Not necessarily. All emptying the recycle bin does is confirm areas ok for overwrite. The data's still there until overwritten. It's not quite so easy to truly erase data.
Lots of people have been busted because they believed emptying the recycle bin erased their files.

I haven't tried this, but:

or

Also, this product might be worth a look.

carr's right, I've used this technique on outlook 97 pst files. You'll have to try the recovery quickly before new messages overwrite the data you're trying to recover.

I am sorry for posting a wrong one..
But I tried the techrepublic site and was not succesful.
Let me know If others were able to get it working..

regards
MP

TMGuy,

If you are on an Exchange Server network it might well be possible to recover deleted emails - providing your network admin has enabled this (it's pretty much standard practice to have recovery enabled).

To check if you have any items that can be retrieved:
- Go into your Deleted Items folder.
- From the Tools menu, select Recover Deleted Items.

If you can see the item you would like to restore, simply highlight it and click on the little icon that looks like an envelope with an arrow. Your restored item will appear in the Deleted Items folder.

Hope this helps...

Zi

To enable Deleted Item Recovery on mail folders other than Deleted Items (such as Sent Items, Drafts, Outbox, and Inbox), the following registry entry needs to be made:

Add the DWORD value DumpsterAlwaysOn =1 to the following registry key of the administrator's Outlook client

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options

This can be done either at the administrator's computer or the user's computer. After this value is added, the Recover Deleted Items option becomes available for all the other mail folders mentioned earlier. The user can recover deleted items from these folders. This procedure can become tedious if it is done on all user workstations. An easier solution is to make this registry modification on the administrator's computer and then have the administrator open the affected user's mailbox as an additional mailbox. The administrator can then recover deleted items from the user's mailbox mail folders.

Thanks, everyone.

I don't use Exchange.

I have tried restoring deleted e-mails using Search & Recover program w/o any success. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back