Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover Data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhala

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2003
US
Hello,

I am running Solaris 8 Enterprise. I had 2 drives in RAID 1. One of the drives failed and it was still up and running. I replaced the drive. I ran the command: prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s1 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s1

Unfortunately, I didn't realize the drives were switched when the one failed, and I formatted the good drive! The metastat database never updated when the drives were switched, and thus the mix up.

How do I recover the data?

Is there a way where I can switch the drives around again, boot from a Solaris CD, and rebuild the boot partition to recover the data? If so, could someone please advise to those steps?

Best Regards,
John

You mentioned that the drive that failed was still up and running. Drives fail for multiple reasons but, you might get lucky enough if you put suppossed bad drive back on and revert the changes you might be surprised to end up with a working drive again on the one that you just changed.

Keep in mind the following, Only and only if the bad drive is recognized and if you do a format and you can see all partitions attempt this. If you are lucky the drive failed and if it spins like you said, the partition table might be intact. If it is, then just revert the changes and maybe and its a big maybe since I have never had to do this myself it could work. I am thinking theory here. Keep that in mind..

Good luck..

PopKorn

Thanks for the ideas PopKorn. I'll put that failed drive back in and hope for the best. I'll let you know what happens.

--John

Hi John - perhaps time for a rethink (or even a think?) about your backup strategy?

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Putting the bad drive back in didn't help so I re-partitioned the 'good' drive, and received a different message saying to run fsck.
Good sign, right? lol
I run:
fsck -F ufs -y /dev/....
Receive message Bad Super Block, use and Alternate.
I then use 32:
fsck -F ufs -o b=32 /dev...
Message is that some of the sectors could not be read.
I go into format and try to repair the sectors, but it says they are OK.
I try the next superblock, 103XXX, same results.

What a run-around...

If it can't read the sectors then it probably is bad. Try to analyze it from format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back