Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover data from a .qic file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Greetings,
I am experiencing a problem; I get the message, Invalid Data (4616 1208), when attempting to restore a .qic file created with Microsoft Backup software.
I originally backed up the file to a CD-RW. I have copied the file to a hard drive and other CD’s. I have tried other CD-ROMs, Windows ME and 2K. I have tried a couple of CD diagnostics packages; one from CDR Diagnostics and another that looks identical from Arrowkey. I downloaded the trial Backup MyPC from Veritas and so far still have an unrecoverable file. I can open the file with a text editor, UltraEdit 32, but do not have a clue as to what I might do with that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Jim,
i have the same problem (4616 1208 error ).
Did you found a sloution for it ?
Regards? Marc

I am unable to restore my backup after having saved it to a CD-RW (using XP Pro). Did you ever resolve the issue?

Hi guys,

i have the same problem when i try to recover a backup made with Microsoft backup software. It tells me that it can not find any backup diretory. No end of Volume

Please help

Don't get your hopes up - I still have a damaged qic file from quite some time ago, just in case a solution is ever found, but I've never seen one.

Hi all,
FAIK, MsBackup is version dependant.
eg, win 98 version cannot restore a QIC file made by an older win95 version and vice versa.

what version of the OS was it created with?

you may have to change the file attribute
since putting it on a CDR makes the file read only, you can only do so after copying it to hard disk and change its properties (untick read only attribute).

At another site I saw a solution posted; The paralell port setting was changed to ECP/EPP but in that case a real tapedrive was used.
kind regards, Jaak
from Belgium

hi all,

found something for you. It's a software called 'BackUp MyPC'. It's a 30days free trial version and it run's under win xp. I had a .qic-file created under win 98 and no problems to backup my files to win xp!

Try the following site

or download from download.com

greets from europe/switzerland
seggi

Thanks to all for your help. I did look at My Backup PC and about half the comments were extremely negative. I don't think that is the way I will go. I think I will just write to a CD for now, unless someone gets a better idea.

I do think it is a serious flaw in the backup process, especially when we are changing from 95, 98 and ME to XP.

Oh, well. Micro$oft.

don

Micro$ofts officail line:

STATUS
This behavior is by design.

They force you along an upgrade path, but you can't get at your achived data unless you use an obsolete OS.

Oh well , back to good old tar, it worked in 1980 and still works today!

Hi All:

Are people still having trouble with this, or is it
an old enough problem that it has been resolved.
I notice some of the posts are a year old. I also
notice some talk about Win95 and Win98 *.qic backups
being incompatible. I'd be interested in that as
Microsoft appears to claim they are compatible,
but allows the latest WinNT and XP versions are not:

Anyway if people are interest, I expect to have
a decompression program finished quite soon:

I worked on decompression as it is a big step in
a generic extraction tool, and the Microsoft article
above seems to claim WinXP's backup program can read
*.qic archives if they are NOT compressed.

If interested visit and give me some feedback.
I know enough about the format now that I can probably
recover some stuff from damaged archives.

will

Greetings:
I posted about a month ago. I've now helped a couple
people recover *.qic files. My site for info
on *.QIC format and data recovery has moved to

Its still in Beta so you have to go there, see if it
fits your needs, and then email me to get the program.
I'm going to start a new thread about NTbackup and
its *.BKF format. I have a pretty good understanding
of it, but the compression is a black hole....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back