Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover data from a Promise SATA RAID1 (mirror) Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuaneN

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2001
US
I recently suffered a DIRECT lightning strike (1/2 electronics in house -- POOF!) My old PC was toast (PSU, MOBO, CPU) and I rebuilt a new one but the HDDs are still functional.

The old PC had a MSI MOBO w/ Promise SATA RAID controller and 2 HDDs were config'ed as a RAID1 (Mirror -- 2 X 250GB WD HDDs). The new board does not use Promise RAID controller.

The Question: Does anyone know of a utility or method to read and recover the data off of one of these drives before reformatting and reconfiguring for the new RAID controller?

Thx for your help!
-- DuaneN

100% redundancy of data means no rebuild is necessary in case of a disk failure, just a copy to the replacement disk
Not sure if this helps.

The answer is "42"

I am afraid mine is a different situation. usually a HDD goes bad but RAID controller is OK -- in that case you simply break the mirror, replace the HDD, and rebuild it as a mirror.

I my case both drives seem OK (a tiord non-RAID is already running) but I no longer have a Promise-brand RAID controller. Promise apparently does something proprietary to the drives. That proprietary format comes up as a "foreign drive" in storage management in WinXP and will not covert in windows w/o wiping data.

Thx for the try though.

Any other ideas?

-- DuaneN

How about data recovery software? GetDataBack has been used by many here successfully, though not in a situation such as yours. They have a free trial.

Thx Freestone,

That was my conclusion too!

I queried them about their software yesterday and just received an e-mail from runtime stating that the combo of raid reconstructor and getdataback should get it.

I will try tonight and report back on the results.

--DuaneN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back