Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover data after reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

user9876

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
CA
I have a quick question regarding recovery of lost data. I have a laptop where the user was suppose to copy all the data they needed to a server. I then formatted the drive and re-installed Windows XP (NTFS file system). Is it possible to recover any of the folders from the original installation..we are looking for a folder and unable to find it and want to check and see if it's in the recycle bin of his original installation.

It's doubtful as you have probably over-written it with the new install. You may care to check out a program called getdataback (google).

As it's a laptop though you have an additional problem as simply installing any software on the laptop will further over-write sectors that may contain the data you are looking for.

If the data is worth it, you may like to consider one of the professional data recovery services. Some can recover data even if it has been over-written.

In future I suggest you backup the users data for them, before you do a re-install.

Hi stduc, please try URGENTRECOVERY professional 3.2 It is the best software, recover you lost data, partition lost and you bios not detect the hard drive URGENTRECOVERY find and recover you data. try in

[blue]Steve67890[/blue] - I think you mean [blue]user9876 [/blue] not me LOL.

As [blue]user9876 [/blue] hasn't posted back in a while it looks to me like they gave up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back