Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover bad media

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupper

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
Running backup exec 8.6 to disk. I needed to restore a file somebody accidently deleted. I get a bad media error. I show over 50 gig in the bkd000002.bkf file. Is there a way to repair the file? I have been trying to run the mtfcheck from win2000 resource cd. I can't get it to see the file. Anyone have any ideas.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cupper

Okay, was the tape always in the drive/library or did you just put it in for the recovery? If you just put it in, did you inventory and catalog it?

-SQLBill

This was a backup I ran to disk on Dec 8. When I go to restore a file from the backup file, it gives me an error of bad media. I have a feeling the header got corrupted or an eod was written at the beginning of the file. It shows a 56 gig file though, so I am assuming the actual data is still there. Under the restore option I am able to drill down to the file I am looking for which was part of the original backup catalogue file. I just figured there had to be some simple utility out there to repair the corrupted bkf file.

Thanks,
Gregg

There is no such utility that I know of, certainly not one on Veritas' site. Can you give more detail about this "bad media" error? Does it change the state of the media in the devices tab of BE or is this just something you see in the job log? Can you paste the error here? Also, have you checked the application and system event viewer on the BE server? Also, were verifies run for these backup jobs? Can you restore other data from this B2D file?

luckily, all I was trying to restore was a small file for a user. I spent way too much time working on this. I couldn't get the mtfcheck utility to point to the file to run a check and repair on it. If you go to Technet and read about mtfcheck, that is exactly what I wanted to accomplish. I was guessing that somehow an eod was at the beginning of the file somehow.

To answer your question BE would not recognize the B2D file at all. When you attempt to have BE catalog it, it comes back with "bad media".

Thanks for inquiring!
Sincerely,
Gregg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back