Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recordsets between DCOM components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDba

Programmer
Dec 13, 2000
GB
Hi,

I having a problem passing records sets between DCOM components (written in VB). It all works fine when the components are on the same machine, but as soon as we move on onto the Apps server and the other on to the client it all stops and locks up.

The VB code on the client is

dim li_Ret as integer
dim lrs_Rec as new ADODB.Recordset
dim lobj_Cust as new clsCustomer

lrs_Rec.CursorLocation = adUseClient
lrs_Rec.Fields.Append "CustNo", adChar, 20
lrs_Rec.Open

li_Ret = lobj_Cust.GetDetails( lrs_Rec )

etc.

On the Apps server the object justs adds rows into the recordset which has been passed by reference.

We have a work around at the present moment but I'd like to know why it is not working.

Thanks in Advance

LokiDBA

Is the parameter being passed into GetDetails being passed ByRef or ByVal? - Jeff Marler B-)

Normally you don't want to pass any data between the client app and server components ByRef (this will greatly improve performance). Try passing the value (if you need to pass it) ByVal. Since you are just getting a list of data, I would change the call to a function that returns an ADO recordset that is creaated and filled on the App Server (make sure that the recordset is disconnected and that the location is specified as a cliend side cursor). - Jeff Marler B-)

can u write down the problem message? and can u provide code u have written in ur GetDetails procedure. only then some one can rectify ur problem. U can send me ur question at myemail address.
bilshah_2000@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back