Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recordset return only include records by user last name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emario

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
I have a customer interaction database on our server. My user open the database and all the record are returned. My users only want their record to show in choices so that they don't have to sift through other and they don't want others to see their interaction. How can I allow the user to do this. For example, when they open the application maybe they are prompted for their last name and this causes only their records to become active. Well that's more or less what I want. Thanks in adavance

If you are working in a database that uses usernames and passwords, all you have to do is add a field to your tables that inserts the CurrentUser() whenever they create a record. Then when the user opens the records, filter the records to fldUser (or as set up in your tables) = """" & CurrentUser() & """"

If you are not using security settings at all, then you need a way to tag the user. So, it would use a similar technique, only more work for the user. You would add the field to the table, then when they create the record, they enter in their name on the form/datasheet, whichever. When they want to view it, you can dispay an input box for the name they entered then dynamically filter the form based on this input box. ie) form.filteron = true
form.filter = pstrInputboxReturn
Only problem with this is that if they are inconsistant with Identifying themselves, they won't get all records, and if there are more than 1 user using the same name, they will get the wrong records - a simple solution to this would be to provide a pop up form that has a combo box they can pick their name from.

Good luck :)

Thanks. Number two option sounds good. Maybe what I'll do is after the splsh screen I'll put a input form that asks last name and use the form.filteron on on that. After that the form that is loaded should only have their recordset and I I'll put a combo box that comes from the list in the forms so they will not have to type the full name. Thanks a million for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back