Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recordset Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnt

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
US
Hello-
I'm trying this thread again, because I haven't had much luck with it...
I'm trying to pull data from a database on our server and import it into a local table in Access. The only way I've found to do it is to create a recordset with the data and run an INSERT SQL statement cycling through all the records. I need to import about 50,000 records from 2 different db's. Needless to say, this method takes a bit long (it has to run 50,000 INSERT statements). Is there a more efficient way to do this?
A couple things:
-Using Access 2000
-I can't use a Pass through query
-I can't use linked tables

Thanks for any help!

What is the database on your server? Why can't you use Passthrough or Linked tables. I presume that you have some sort of security issue there. If not, do you have ODBC connectivity.

If the above is truly a "no go", then you might want to try exporting the data as a CSV formatted file (comma separated variable), or an excel spreadsheet; then define the corresponding structure of the table in Access, and Import the data using the File, Import options.

Hope this helps,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

Thanks Steve-
The problem with the pass-through query and linked tables is that once I establish a connection using the following Connect statement:

ODBC;server=cnxsvr;dsn=vax_db;uid=uid1;pwd=pwd1;

it won't close the connection until I shut down Access. So when I run another pass-through query using:

ODBC;server=cnxsvr;dsn=vax_db;uid=uid2;pwd=pwd2;

it still pulls data from uid1/pwd1. The same is true for linked tables.

Importing them manually from an xls or csv could work, but I need it to be extremely user friendly for my users, and I prefer not to give them access to all that. Currently, I have it set up through 2 different pass-through queries and I advise the user to shutdown and restart the program before updating the 2nd company's tables. I'd prefer to pull both company's data (uid1 and uid2) into a single local table with one command. But maybe this is not possible?

Thanks again-

Steve-
I figured it out using .AddNew to populate my tables. 50,000, 10 field records in 15 seconds - that I can live with. Syntax in thread705-208622.
Thanks-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back