Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RecordSet Not Updatable - Why? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattpearcey

Technical User
Mar 7, 2001
GB
In response to thread181-86197, i have tried everything! i have one form, that filters off from my main form, that works,and i can enter data. But i still cannot see why i cannot enter new records, or change existing ones. It keeps on saying RecordSet not Updatable.

I have looked at the form that works (in the properties, etc) but i cannot see any differences. It is a subform within the form, but i have other subfomrs that are the same, but are not working.

This is driving me up the wall - please help?! Thank you for your help already.

Matt Pearcey

Matt:

Check your source queries. I would guess that you have some combination of table/query links that is creating the non-updateable recordsets.

Open the queries and check the updateable status. Then look at the tables/queries being used. I would guess (had this happen yesterday) that one sources within the query structure is another query and not a table.

Hope this helps.
Larry De Laruelle
larry1de@yahoo.com

Sorry for sounding ungrateful, but im not really getting what you are thinking of. Or maybe i am thinking of different things.

Do you mean looking at the properties of the forms?

Having spoken to a collegue, i think that it maybe to do withthe permissions? I made teh databse on my workstation, that has specific permissions. I then transfered it onto another machine (Server) that has access on there, but with no users or permissions set up. I was thinking about setting these user groups, and all the security stuff up through this , here. But, security is not really an issue, as once on the server, they are set up as corporate applications, and our server gus set up the users for those (So they are setting the security through that)

What do you think i should do? As i have check through the properites of the various forms and cannot see where i can be making a mistake? Thank you for your help already.

Matt Pearcey

Matt:

That puts a different light on it. I assume that it worked correctly before you transferred it but now, on the new machine, it doesn't allow updates?

Check the MDB file itself (right click/properties) on the new location and see if it has been checked as Read Only.

Larry De Laruelle
larry1de@yahoo.com

Security is always present with Access--it's just using default Admin user for everyone when you don't specify user permission levels & objects overtly. So, the move to network shouldn't affect things.

Put a text box on a form and set the controlsource to:

=syscmd(acSysCmdGetWorkgroupFile)

(Look up "syscmd" in VB Help: ALT F11 > F1

This will tell you what .mdb (security file) is in use. It should be system.mdw if you haven't set groups/permissions.

Larry may have been on the right track before. If you have a one > many join in a query and return fields from the "one" side Access won't let you update them, unless you set the query recordsettype property to:

Dynaset Inconsistent Updates

You might also describe your objectives in using this form--it's much harder to troubleshoot techniques that aren't completely described, and there may be a much better solution to the objectives overall (rather than fixing the current solution).

Try installing the Office 97 service packs and see if you still have the same problem.

Like Quehay, I think Larry was on the right track the first time. I had a database with a similar problem and it was because I either based a query on a query or was using something like a one to many.

I have had this problem before with Access. I don't know if this is the same situation as yours but... I found that deleting any corresponding relationships and re-creating them exactly as they were seemed to fix this problem. I can only assume that this is some sort of corruption on Access' part. Rob Marriott
rob@career-connections.net

I was getting the same error 'This recordset is not updatable'. The error arose when I converted an Access 2000 database to an Access Data Project using SQL as the back-end. The conversion process is far from perfect. You will lose something in the process, I guarantee it! For me, the 'autonumber' datatype in Access did not translate correctly in the conversion process to SQL. Once I had the database converted to SQL, I had to go back into SQL and manually set the datatype to 'Identity'(the equivalent of Access's 'autonumber' datatype). Hopefully, someone will read this and save hours of troubleshooting something that isn't their fault! Thanks Microsoft!

Everyone, especially Matt, who posted this, ain't this a pig when it happens.
For me it was referential integerity not being set to cascade delete. Try this.
Also, I believe someone here mentions compatibility problems between the two versions. I am working with the two versions also and find 97 objects bring inheritances of all kinds with them which are often buried deep.
The help index is actually extremely comprehensive on this area and at least gives you a check list to work through.
Good luck

I also have a subform that at one-time worked, but then after some revisions I got "THIS RECORDSET IS NOT UPDATABLE" message at the bottom of the screen. My main form query links 2 tables, the subforms has many combo boxes that pull data from many different tables/queries and I update tables in the coding.

I set (see Quehay's suggestion above)the query recordsettype property to:

Dynaset Inconsistent Updates

It now works ????????????

:-D

Thanks for the help - posted April 22, 2002

Hi Folks,
I am getting the same error 'This recordset is not updatable'. In my case it is in forms.
I am using a select stmt which retreives the data from three queries .Those queries are generated using oracle tables linked to Access queries.As we dont want to change the app we are using queries which have the same name & data structure of old access tables.
I am enclsoing the select stmt.

SELECT DISTINCTROW [tab-QFN].[QFN#], [tab-QFN].[Origin Date], [PIAR Form Layout A].[Part number], [PIAR Form Layout A].[Customer Name], [PIAR Form Layout A].[PPM #], [tab-QFN].[Date Closed], [tab-QFN].Status, [tab-QFN].Type, [tab-QFN].CA, [tab-QFN].QN_NO, [PIAR Form Layout A].PIAR_NO
FROM ([tab-QFN] INNER JOIN [tab-qfn Part #] ON ([tab-QFN].[BREED location] = [tab-qfn Part #].[BREED location]) AND ([tab-QFN].QN_NO = [tab-qfn Part #].QN_NO)) INNER JOIN [PIAR Form Layout A] ON ([tab-QFN].[BREED location] = [PIAR Form Layout A].[BREED location]) AND ([tab-QFN].QN_NO = [PIAR Form Layout A].QN_NO)

I really appreciate if I get some help.
Thanks in advance.

Kushi

I had that problem using SQL back end database. The problem occurs if one or more of the tables that you are connecting to thru odbc have not primary key. Delete the links, assign primary keys, recreate the links. Should fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back