Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recordset in ActiveX Script Task

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmchung

Programmer
May 30, 2001
US
I'm attempting to parse out a column of data in a table(Table A) into another table(TableB) that has all the fields. In total there are 127 fields that are going to be populated. Can I use a standard SQL INSERT statement to do this or will I reach a max limit on the size of my SQL statement? I was thinking this would happen so I tried inserting records into TableB by way of a recordset. Ithe ActiveX Script Task window, I keep getting an error message saying my ADODB.Recordset does not support updating. Am I missing a piece of logic here?

Dim...

strConnection = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=SPA_Dev;Data Source=(local)"

Set rsSource = createobject("ADODB.Recordset")
rsSource.Open "TableA", strConnection, adOpenDynamic

Set rsDest = CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
rsDest.Open "TableB", strConnection, adOpenDynamic
rsSource.movefirst

Do...
strLine = rsSource.fields(0).value
rsdest.addnew
rsDest.fields(0) = mid(strLine,961,1)
rsdest.update
rsSource.movenext
End

First : you are not specifying the Lock type of the recordset ...

Second: why don't you rather use something like this

conn.execute "Insert into TableB Select SubString (FieldName,961,1) From TableA "

Hope this helps.
{flowerface]

I was standing in the park, wondering why frisbees got bigger as they came closer... then it hit me!

First : you are not specifying the Lock type of the recordset ...

Second: why don't you rather use something like this

conn.execute "Insert into TableB Select SubString (FieldName,961,1) From TableA "

Hope this helps.
[flowerface]

I was standing in the park, wondering why frisbees got bigger as they came closer... then it hit me!

I was thinking of just using an INSERT statement, but again, I need to insert 127 fields. Can an SQL statement be that long?

In other words, my INSERT statement would look like:

INSERT INTO TableB (FieldName1, FieldName2, FieldName3...FieldName127) SELECT SUBSTRING(FieldName1,2,6), SUBSTRING(FieldName2,300,19), SUBSTRING(FieldName3,7653,5)...SUBSTRING(FieldName127,8114,1) FROM TableA

I'm pretty sure that not a problem... I have a select-insert statement using substrings that insert 78 fields. Another way to do what you want may be to use Transform Data Task and create a ActiveX Script inside the task, here is a example:

Code:
Function Main()
    DTSDestination("RecordID") = mid(DTSSource("cRecord"), 1, 6)
    DTSDestination("Date_of_Record") = mid(DTSSource("cRecord"), 7, 6)
    DTSDestination("FromNumberLength") = mid(DTSSource("cRecord"), 13, 2)
    Main = DTSTransformStat_OK
End Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back