Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recordset error

Status
Not open for further replies.

louize

Technical User
Apr 22, 2001
GB
i'm a new user and followed a tutorial every step of the way untill i went to insert the recordset and it give the error

[!Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Syntax error in FROM clause

but the from clause is simply insert all??

i've three tables in my databse, the others work apart from this ORDER one that only contains 5 fields
OrderRef,name,comapny,phoneNo,Date

Please Please can some1 help

Louise X-)

Uhm - "select from insert all"? Try creating a server behaviour that inserts data - should be pretty self-explaining. Otherwise, if this does not work - can you paste the SQL statement you use here?
allow thyself to be the spark that lights the fire
haslo@haslo.ch - www.haslo.ch​

no, the clause was never created by myself-i selected the table i want my records to come from the pull down menu. so i'm assuming the SQL satement is SELECT FROM * order or something like that

as a said if i selected one of the other tables from the pull down menu,then press 'test' button they work fine, but this 'order' table results in the error

does this make it abit clearer????

Well, you should be able to find in the code somewhere a variable that contains your SQL Statement --

If it's just an insert, then first look for something that looks vaguely like this:

set con = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

That is your connection object, and is the vehicle that is doing your db work. Then, you will need to find something that looks like this (assuming your connection object's name is 'con'):

con.execute varName

that 'varName' is going to hold your SQL statment, so right before that line, do this:

response.write(varName)

and out pops the SQL that UltraDev has created for you. Your error should then be apparent.

But if I may, I'll offer a bit of advice. Learn to code these types of things on your own. If you rely on UltraDev (or any other software program) to write all your code, then when you have problems, it's extremely difficult to debug because proprietary software usually writes very unreadable code... debugging it is a complete nightmare, and if you want to do something above and beyond what is offered to you in the wizards, it's all but impossible because the code it makes is very fragile and will not work if you go monkeying around with it.

Anyway, once you find and output your SQL statement, if the error still is not apparent, then post it here and I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

good luck! :)
Paul Prewett
penny.gif
penny.gif

the SQL statments is

SELECT * FROM Order

this is why i'm confused? i've done some SQL programming and i can't see anything wrong.

i value your advice and will start studying the code but wanted to see what the finished product looked like.

i will be studing ASP etc later at uni but wanted to get an insight.

sorry if i'm being really stupid but i am a starter

thanx for the help :)

louise
xo

Well, your original post indicates that you are trying to do an INSERT -- so a SELECT is not what you need, right?

I suspect that there is more going on here than what has been posted, so it's difficult that diagnose.

Yes, SELECT * FROM ORDER looks like a perfectly valid SQL statement, but like I said, it's not an INSERT ---

What is your goal? What are you trying to do with the webpage?

penny.gif
penny.gif

i think this is too much for me!

ultradev said to select the database u want the data to come from--done
then select the table from the access databse in ultradevs 'databinding' table so they link to the fields on the ultradev screen-done

BUT every other table selected from my access database will work apart from the $%^&* one i want

it is a sandwich databse i set up in Access

trying to do the online ordering for pickup

no pricing or calulations involed(i WAS tring to keep it simple)!!

is this a bit clear??

Well, to be honest (and don't smack me for saying this), I don't even own a copy of the program. I peruse this forum because most questions can be answered from a manual coding standpoint, so as far as how to go about setting up the connections with UltraDev, I'm afraid I can't help anymore.

hope someone else can. :-(
penny.gif
penny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back