Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Records locked between ACCESS and SEQUEL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2005
US
Environment

Access database split into front end and back end.
The back end then ported to Sequel Server.

Problem

Occasionally, atttempting to edit (in the Access front end) records (newly added after the port) resulting in a warning that another user is attempting to edit this record (more or less). This is happending on two tables that I can discern for sure, it may be happening to others.

A temporary fix for the problem is to export the table(s) from Sequel to Access and back again allows me one shot at editing and locks up the record again.

I can edit and remove old records, but once edited they are locked as well.

It sems if the record is being marked as "dirty" whenever it is accessed from the Access front end.

When performing editing operations in Sequel itself none of these problems appear, records can be deleted and fields edited without problem.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Pete

If I understand, you have linked SQL tables into the backend which are in turned linked to the frontend? Not sure about your concurrency issues but might get better performance if the SQL tables are linked directly to the frontend. Splitting the database is a good idea, but I have never heard of "splitting the split database before". Good luck!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Sorry for the confusion the current environment is that there is an ACCESS front directly linked to a SEQUEL backend. The is no middle linkage.

SQL Server tables that go through ODBC (i.e. linked table) can be a problem if they contain bit fields. Let us know if the tables that you are having problems with contain any bit data types. If so, there are multiple solutions and we can go over, but need more information. Are you binding a table to a Form and that is where the problem occurs or something else? Also, does the table contain the bit data type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back