Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recording a Macro in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmryan

Programmer
Dec 22, 2000
US
Is there a way to record a macro in Access, like you can in Excel? What I need to do is record/create a macro that imports data from an Oracle DB via a DSN. I can do the process manually, but I don't know how to create a macro to do it.

Thanks
Tim Tim Ryan
PROGRESS Developer

No, access doesnt have this facility, you will have to write your own code. Do you have any experience writing code? What version of access? Can you take a note of the Driver, DSN, Server etc that you connect to when doing this manually and post that info?

MK10 - I am a programmer - but I haven't worked with VB or VBA that much. I work mostly with Progress - an Oracle wannabe. If you can give me an example I'm sure I could figure it out.

ETID - I chose to import instead of link because I don't want to hit the Oracle DB everytime a report is needed. The plan is to periodically copy the tables from Oracle to Access (via a button), then query from the local Access DB.

Thanks
Tim Tim Ryan
PROGRESS Developer

Well,..you could link to oracle from a 2nd access db and within it, run a "make table query" that puts a stand alone table into the access db that users will run reports from...

then setup the "make table query" process to run from widows scheduler.

just a wee bit convoluted, but it works, I use this type of thing to run a weekly update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back