Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record Sorting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStrittmatter

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
I want to be able to select every record if the number of records is < 50 and then select every other record if the record number is < 100 so I can print mailing labels.

Dear Jstrittmatter,

What do you mean select? Do you mean that if only 50 records are returned to **show** them all, but if 100 records are returned to **suppress** every other one?

Your question does not contain enough information to formulate an answer.

Version of Crystal
Database
The point of what you are trying to do (the "so I can print mailing labels" is not enough info).

Regards,
ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary-at-microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

You will get answers more quickly if you read this before posting: faq149-3762

Use the following to conditionally suppress the records.

whileprintingrecords;
if count({one_of_your_fields})<50 then false else
if count({one_of_your_fields})<100 then
if remainder(recordnumber,2)=0 then true

Mike

I am using CR 9
SQL Database

We are sending out surveys for services the we provide. Some services have more consumers than others and we want to be able to pick out just a sampling of these people. We need mailing labels for the people we are sending these surveys to. I hope this is a little bit more helpful

Dear Jstrittmatter,

Now it is clearer.

MBarrons suggestion is what you will want to go with, with just a little change.

Since we have no idea how your report is laid out, I have to assume that you have mailing addresses in the detail section with a detail for each label.

Go to Format/Section/Click on Details and then click the x-2 formula editor box next to suppress (do not check suppress).

Enter the following formula:

If count({Table.PrimaryKey}) <= 50
then false
else
If remainder(recordnumber,2) = 0
then true
else false

The above should work. You must change the {Table.PrimaryKey} to a field on your report that is never null, like a primary key.

Regards,
ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary-at-microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

Now they have changed everything on me. They want to go by percentage of the number consumers. The break down is as follows:

> 30 print them all
between 30 and 100 print 25%
< 100 print 10%

Any help you can give me would be wonderful.

Dear JTStittmatter,

You continue to confuse me :)

> 30 and between 30 and 100 and < 100 **glop** all over each other and really are not good for devising logic ... it seems that maybe the > and < symbols are confused in places ...

If you meant: if there are 30 or less, print all and if there are between 31 and 100, then print 25% and if there are greater then 100 records then print 10% of the records, then the following should do....

Code:
numbervar cnt :=

(Select count({Incident.Incident #})
case 0 to 30 :   1  //always prints
case 31 to 100 : 4  //25%
default : 10        //10%
))
;

remainder(recordnumber,cnt) <> 0

Hope that helps,

p.s. In my formula above, since I am using CR 8.5 there are two parens just before the ";", I know that the Crystal bug that required this was fixed in CR10, but I do not know if the bug was fixed in CR 9 as I don't have that version. If you receive an error on the extra paren then just delete one close paren.

The open and close (& in CR8.5 the double close) are required because I have a case statement in the statement setting the value for the variable and otherwise it does not think that the statement separator ";" is valid.

ro

Rosemary Lieberman

Rosemary

You are wonderful. I did screw up the signs thanks a million for your help on this it works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back