Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

record selection vs. SQL Query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wysiwygGER01

Programmer
Feb 18, 2009
AU
Hi,

I'm using CR 10.
My report takes very long to run so I set up the below selection statements to speed up the time it takes to produce my report.

Code:
(if {?AllCountries}<>"1" then {@Country} ={?SpecificCountry} else {@Country} <>"")
AND year(pwformatdate({GLPOST.JRNLDATE})) = ToNumber({?Year})
AND {GLPOST.SRCETYPE} <> "CL"
AND (MID({GLPOST.ACCTID},3,4) = "5340" 
    OR MID({GLPOST.ACCTID},3,4) = "5342"
    OR MID({GLPOST.ACCTID},3,4) = "5722" 
    OR MID({GLPOST.ACCTID},3,4) = "5210"
    OR MID({GLPOST.ACCTID},3,4) IN ["4110" TO "4430"]) 
AND {GLPOST.JRNLDATE} >= 0 AND pwformatdate({GLPOST.JRNLDATE}) <= {@EndDate}

When I look at the SQL query though it seems to ignore the statement where I try to limit my results for 1 year only.
"year(pwformatdate({GLPOST.JRNLDATE})) = ToNumber({?Year})"
It therefore returns records for all years.
Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it works?

This is my SQL query returned from Crystal.
Code:
 SELECT "GLAMF"."ACSEGVAL02", "GLAMF"."ACSEGVAL03", "GLAMF"."ACCTDESC", "GLPOST"."ACCTID", "GLPOST"."SRCETYPE", "GLPOST"."JRNLDATE", "GLPOST"."TRANSAMT"
 FROM   "cap100"."dbo"."GLAMF" "GLAMF" INNER JOIN "cap100"."dbo"."GLPOST" "GLPOST" ON "GLAMF"."ACCTID"="GLPOST"."ACCTID"
 WHERE  "GLPOST"."SRCETYPE"<>'CL' AND "GLPOST"."JRNLDATE">=0

There are multiple clauses that are not passing. You could speed things up by converting as many formulas as possible to SQL expressions.

1) country clause: What is the content of {@Country}? Something in that formula is preventing that clause from passing.

2) year(pwformatdate({GLPOST.JRNLDATE})) = ToNumber({?Year})
First you should change the {?Year} parameter to be a number parameter. Ideally you would set up a SQL expression {%year} using the year function, but I'm not sure you can access custom functions like pwformatdate within SQL expressions, and I have no way of testing that--but you could. See if there is a year function in the function list for SQL expressions, and then see if it will accept the custom function. If there is no year function just try:

year(pwformatdate(GLPOST.JRNLDATE))

...adding the field from the field list so the correct punctuation is applied. Then you would replace the clause in your selection formula with:

{%year} = {?Year}

3) MID({GLPOST.ACCTID},3,4)

Replace this with a SQL expression {%acctid} that uses either a substring function from the function list

{fn substring(GLPOST.ACCTID,3,4)}

Or try:

substr(GLPOST.ACCTID,3,4)

Then use this in your selection formula:

{%acctid} in ["5340","5342","5722","5210","4110" TO "4430"]

4) {@Enddate}--what is the content of this? Either the formula is the problem or the custom function is.

Of course, these suggestions presume that SQL expressions are available to you.

-LB

Awesome! Thank you so much for pointing me to SQL Expressions!
I did not know what they can be used for.
I now have the following selections.
{?Year} has to be a string value unfortunately.

Code:
(if {?AllCountries}<>"1" then {%Country} ={?SpecificCountry} else {%Country} <>"")
AND {%Year} =ToNumber({?Year})
AND {GLPOST.SRCETYPE} <> "CL"
AND {%AccountID} IN ["5340","5342","5722","5210","4110" TO "4430"] 
AND  {%EndDate} <= ToNumber({?EndDate})

The SQL query it gives me is as follows:

Code:
 SELECT "GLAMF"."ACSEGVAL02", "GLAMF"."ACSEGVAL03", "GLAMF"."ACCTDESC", "GLPOST"."ACCTID", "GLPOST"."SRCETYPE", "GLPOST"."JRNLDATE", "GLPOST"."TRANSAMT", ({fn YEAR("GLPOST"."FISCALYR")}), ({fn SUBSTRING("GLPOST"."ACCTID",3 ,4 )}), ({fn SUBSTRING("GLPOST"."ACCTID",1 ,2 )}), ("GLPOST"."JRNLDATE")
 FROM   "cap100"."dbo"."GLAMF" "GLAMF" INNER JOIN "cap100"."dbo"."GLPOST" "GLPOST" ON "GLAMF"."ACCTID"="GLPOST"."ACCTID"
 WHERE  ({fn SUBSTRING("GLPOST"."ACCTID",1 ,2 )})='10' AND ({fn YEAR("GLPOST"."FISCALYR")})=2011 AND "GLPOST"."SRCETYPE"<>'CL' AND ((({fn SUBSTRING("GLPOST"."ACCTID",3 ,4 )})>='4110' AND ({fn SUBSTRING("GLPOST"."ACCTID",3 ,4 )})<='4430') OR ({fn SUBSTRING("GLPOST"."ACCTID",3 ,4 )})='5210' OR ({fn SUBSTRING("GLPOST"."ACCTID",3 ,4 )})='5340' OR ({fn SUBSTRING("GLPOST"."ACCTID",3 ,4 )})='5342' OR ({fn SUBSTRING("GLPOST"."ACCTID",3 ,4 )})='5722') AND ("GLPOST"."JRNLDATE")<=20110531

I don't see why {?Year} has to be a string.

It looks like everything is passing except the country clause. Try changing it to:

(
(
{?AllCountries}<>"1" and
{%Country} ={?SpecificCountry}
) or
(
{?AllCountries}="1" and
{%Country} <> ""
)
)

-LB

Status