Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record Selection Formula print size limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhfmc

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
It appears that there is a size limitation on Insert -- Field Object -- Special Field -- Record Selection Formula. Is this true and can it be increased? E.g., although I successfully created a record selection statement of 6 lines, almost all of the 6th line is truncated when printing the report.

I believe you can change the size of the field in the report design so it will show all 6 lines. You can also format the field to "Can Grow".

HTH

Beth L

You're probably hitting the 254 char output limit in ver 8.5 or below.

Place the text in to a Crystal text object.

-k

Budbeth,
Thanks for the "can grow" tip; I'll use it elsewhere. In this case, I've got plenty of space for characters, but the special field isn't passing all of them to the report.

Synapsevampire,
I quickly counted 244 characters, including end-of-line returns. The field name that should print next would exceed 254. I'm using CR 8.5; how painful is upgrading to 9.0 or whatever's next?
I tried to place this special field in a Crystal Text Object but I guess I don't understand how that would work. I want my Record Selection Formula to print in my report footer as I make additions/changes in the Formula. Thanks.

If you have any static components to the selection formula you could move those rules int a separate formula field or SQL expression field, and then include this field in the selection formula. This might shorten the RS formula enough to fit the 254. Having criteria in a formula might also affect performance, so a SQL Expression would be better if possible.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

You can't place the special field in the text box, you'd have to copy and paste it.

CR 8.5 and below have a 254 char limit, although the special field seems to have a 244 limit (I noticed it last night when I posted).

CR 9 is a smooth upgrade, and since they can coexist, you can leave both on your machine.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back