Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record look up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data69

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
I am a beginner and have problem with a record look up. I have created a form with an unbound text box. I want to enter a problem number in the box. I am trying to create three outcomes. 1. I receive a message if the box is empty. 2. if I put in a problem number I want to query a table to see if it exists, If it exists I get a message. 3. if it doesn't exist I want to open another form. My problem is that I can not get the Dlookup to run. What is wrong witht he code. I have included all the code.

Private Sub number_Enter()
If IsNull(Me!number) Then
MsgBox "ServiceCenter Problem Ticket is a Required Field.", 48
Me!number.SetFocus

Else
If IsNull(DLookup("[number]", "ServiceCenterProblem", "[number] = '" + Me!number + "'")) Then
MsgBox "Problem Ticket already exists, Please enter another Ticket.", 48
Me!number.SetFocus
End If

End If
End Sub

From Access Help:
Number Property
Returns or sets a numeric value specifying an error. Number is the Err object's default property.

You should rename the number field, something like ServiceNum.

Also, is number a Integer or a String? If it is an Integer then you don't need the single quotes;

If IsNull(DLookup("[number]", "ServiceCenterProblem", "[number] = '" + Me!number + "'")) Then

Should be:

If IsNull(DLookup("[number]", "ServiceCenterProblem", "[number] = " + Me!number + " ")) Then

Good luck!
Anthony J. DeSalvo
President - ScottTech Software
"Integrating Technology with Business"

Number is a text String because it is the following Format "P0000000". I have tried entering in a number I know exists and it does not return the error. Should I use the seek method here? I have been struggling witht his and am at a loss here. Do I need to open the table in order to query it?

Yikes, I missed your problem the first time!

Should be:

If Not IsNull(DLookup("[number]", "ServiceCenterProblem", "[number] = '" + Me!number + "'")) Then

Anthony J. DeSalvo

that was it. thanks Now I want to open a nother Form if it the number doesn't exist. Do I run a DoCmd?

Yes, DoCmd.OpenForm "YourFormName" will do it! Anthony J. DeSalvo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back