Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record is out of range

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmara

Programmer
Mar 19, 2002
US
I am getting a &quot;Record is out of range error&quot; when I perform a Select <workspace alias> statement. This error just started happening at the beginning of October. I tested the program with today's date and a date from September, and it worked for September and errored out in October. I think it has sometthing to do with the date. I have also indexed all of the files and the error still happens. What do you think the problem is?

Thanks

What did you index on? i.e. What is the field type and size, and what is the index expression?

This error message is almost always due to a bad index file, or if you are using .IDX file(s) then records were added or deleted without you opening these indexes.

Rick

There are about ten to fifteen dbf files that are used in this program. Each one of those files can have multiple index files associated with it.

I also commented out the portion of code the error happened on and the error happened on the next select statement, even though there was more code before it.

when the error happened, which part of the program did it stops? i mean which line of the source code?

To follow-up on Rick's suggestion, did you attempt to execute the application using the Trace window to see the specific line of code on which the error was issued?

Maybe you commented out code, but perhaps the error message occured when you later attempted to again access the same table with the bad index. Without knowing specifically when/how the error message occurs, it is only a guessing game.

An additional method of checking to see if it might be a table index problem would be to manually (or via a program) individually open each table and re-index it. If no problems occured then you would eliminate that as a possible problem and could go on to look at the code execution with the Trace window.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back