Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record displaying dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

drimades

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2004
MK
I've used the Access "Create form" wizard to create a tabular form that displays records from an Access DB. The size of the displayed textboxes doesn't fit all the contents.
How can I change the dimensions of the textboxes so to view all the contents?

erm...

have you tried going into the design mode of a form and dragging the side of the text box?

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

I can't use dragging the side of each box any time I have to display records. I don't know apriori the length of the text. Is there a way to autosize boxes so to fit the contents?

drimades,

You should have some idea of the upper limit. What is the field size for the field in the form's table? Textboxes on forms are usually designed to handle the maximum desired text; if the field is larger than can practically/aesthetically be handled, then usually the control is created with a larger vertical dimension (to display multiple lines of text), with scrollbars enabled so the user can scroll through the text as needed.

Within reason, you can dynamically resize controls at runtime based on their contents. But YOU would have to design the VBA code to size the controls according to your criteria. There is no built-in property that will automatically resize a form control based on the length of its contents.

There is the Can Grow property, which applies to certain types of controls on forms and reports, and which resizes the vertical dimension of a control as needed. But for forms, this only applies when the form is printed, not when viewed onscreen.

HTH,

Ken S.

There are some rough guides, for example:

- You will probably require an address to fit in a window envelope.
- I seem to recall that 40 characters will suit for most names, 20 for given name, 20 for family name.
- 80 characters will suit for most email addresses.

And so on. I am not suggesting such guides as field sizes, but a little research can help to set a sensible length for a textbox. Finally, Shift+F2 will open a pop-up form (zoom) that will allow you to see the whole of a field or control.

How are ya drimades . . .

Also bear in mind:
TheAceman1 said:
[blue]There's no law that saids a record in a continuous form is limited to one line! [thumbsup2][/blue]
If necessary you can add lines as needed. . . . Just expand the detail area!

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back