Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recompiling old fxp files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Blake

Programmer
Sep 19, 2019
ID
Greetings all,
i've stumble in here due had some problems in old software in our office.
the program were compiled in foxpro, yet due lost of logs or manual, we can't configure to retracing nor forked it into another language program due there's no knowledge of it. as far as we know; the x.fxp were used to join several text files into one compiled data before being sorted out into several dbf files. any idea ?

I'm not surely I completely understand what you are asking, especially the bit about "can't configure to retracing nor forked it into another language". Doesn't make sense to me.

If you are asking how you can modify an existing Foxpro application, and given that you have no Foxpro expertise in your firm, you will almost certainly need to find an experienced Foxpro developer who can do the job for you. But even when you have found such a person, he or she will need the application's source code. If you only have FXP files, you are out luck, as these are compiled program files, which cannot be directly modified.

It is possible that a Foxpro programmer could use a utility to recover the source code from the FXPs, but this is rarely successful as the resulting code is not likely to provide all the information needed to modify the application.

If I have misunderstood your question, perhaps you could re-phrase it in English.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Joe,

Do I understand it correctly that you do not have the exe file, but you call x.fxp from the FoxPro command window? If so, what is the FoxPro version installed?

Yuri

Joe,
What is it you still have? A working program? What are the files?
What is it you want? To adjust that program? To start in a new language?
Rgds,
Koen

sorry for late reply;
had to relocate several times towards another branch office due lack of manpower.

Mike Lewis said:
I'm not surely I completely understand what you are asking, especially the bit about "can't configure to retracing nor forked it into another language". Doesn't make sense to me.

the application was written in foxpro along with some manual data grabber of compiling data. due non existing manual book of how this gmob.fxp were worked; management had issue replacement the Old Supplier attendance machine into the newest product that HR Dept. recommend.

#Some Background Story:
The old supplier had some inside programs that compile the data in the attendance machine [db.txt based] into dbhand.dbf.
for some department guys whose mobile a lot in several branch office; the old HR crew had this foxpro files [gmob.fxp] to recompile several list of branch attendance files with the list of mobile crew id into mobrec.dbf ; had several syntax later to modified the date into specific payroll date of period in current month; before re inject that dbf into main office dbhand.dbf.
recompile the main data [a zip file with several db.txt based] from each machine (new and old) were completely done in new programs (we've use python to recompile that bunch txt files into maria db files). yet this recompile list of mobile id with several branch attendance db.txt files were still in that application.
we're trying several method like asking the old user how it should happen before, no one knows; or the crazy part; we've try to decompile that gmob.fxp yet it won't budge. only had several gibberish text.

rubinov said:
Do I understand it correctly that you do not have the exe file, but you call x.fxp from the FoxPro command window? If so, what is the FoxPro version installed?
yes; we've call the program inside foxpro command windows; if I'm not wrong; Foxpro version 2.5

Koen Piller said:
Joe,
What is it you still have? A working program? What are the files?
[li]Old Manual how to use the *.fxp and modify the value accordingly[/li]
2 fxp files
[li]gmob.fxp[/li]
[li]rpmob.fxp[/li]
Several assorted files:
[li]mobile.dbf[/li]
[li]mobrec.dbf[/li]
[li]idwrk.dbf[/li]
[li]tempdb.dbf[/li]
[li]idbrch.dbf[/li]
[li]x.dbf[/li]
[li]a.idx[/li]
[li]mobile.idx[/li]
[li]idemp.idx[/li]
[li]p.idx[/li]
[li]v.idx[/li]
[li]x.idx[/li]
[li]y.idx[/li]
[li]z.idx[/li]
[li]idbrch.idx[/li]

Koen Piller said:
What is it you want? To adjust that program? To start in a new language?
Rgds,
Koen
we try to simplify the list from doing the fxp; remodelling the table via modi stru command; recompile the data that already being sorted into specific period into 1 single file of exe. so there's no more trial and error in foxpro command.
[#HR in main office still refuse for using another program that simplify their works] m(-_-)m

Can you attach the gmob.fxp here in a reply

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Joe,
To get the FoxPro version, type in the FoxPro command window:
?version()
Please, let me know what you see then in the FoxPro screen.

If you do not have the original code prg files (from which fxp files were compiled), then your only option is to decompile fxp files.
There are decompile tools available (search the intenet), but they may not work if fxp file is encoded somehow.

Yuri

There are decompile tools available (search the intenet), but they may not work if fxp file is encoded somehow.

That's correct, Yuri. The COMPILE command has an ENCRYPT option which prevents decompilation.

But even if he could decompile the files, it's not particularly easy to use the recovered code to make changes to the application, especially as Joe said that they have no FoxPro expertise (at least, I think that's what he said). That's why I suggested he looks for an experienced programmer to do the job.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Mike Gagnon said:
Can you attach the gmob.fxp here in a reply
Here it is, the original were lost yesterday due old virus [diehard.exe] [-_-!] thank god we've still had a backup

hope you could decompile it into readable code :)
rubinov said:
Joe,
To get the FoxPro version, type in the FoxPro command window:
?version()
Please, let me know what you see then in the FoxPro screen.

If you do not have the original code prg files (from which fxp files were compiled), then your only option is to decompile fxp files.

Yuri

Mike Lewis said:
That's correct, Yuri. The COMPILE command has an ENCRYPT option which prevents decompilation.

But even if he could decompile the files, it's not particularly easy to use the recovered code to make changes to the application, especially as Joe said that they have no FoxPro expertise (at least, I think that's what he said). That's why I suggested he looks for an experienced programmer to do the job.

as long as we've had the code or somehow knew how this gmob.fxp worked, we tried to simplify the process for the end user or forked it into python to merge with current development. Most of intern software were written in foxpro without documentation of how it should run nor passing knowledge towards end user, so we've been try to decode it and recreate using several senior end-user expertise m[-_-]m

it's been hard to maintenance due 16bit intern programs and server runs in 64 linux or 32 bit windows XP in virtual box... [>.<]
#the old developer just gone without trace nor already meet the maker [r.i.p] and any documentation prior the code were lost
either in archive or already been shredder into pieces ...

Joe,
would you mind to upload also:

mobile.dbf
mobrec.dbf
idwrk.dbf
tempdb.dbf
idbrch.dbf
x.dbf
xtrh.txt

Koen

cugmas said:
GABMOB.FXP --> GABMOB.PRG

GABMOB.PRG as attachment...

;)

Thanks a lot bud [^-^] [2thumbsup]

Now begins the hardest part; recompile it into 1 .exe files [pipe]

Greetings all,
We've been successfully recompile it into gmob.exe. right now, we've been able to forked it into another language to match new attendance machine required data sheets so we could replace the old one's in several branch office [depends on HR's budget [tongue]].

thank you for your support [2thumbsup] [orientalbow]

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=23ec9d7e-082f-446c-9a0c-65972a828037&file=ss_gabmob_exe.png
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back