Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recommended Tape Backup solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hey all,

Currently looking at replacing our current backup tape drive cause it is causing us no end of issues.

What we would like is an external backup drive, that is capable of storing around the 120gb mark without intevention (so 120gb per tape or group of tapes).

Really dont know where to start, so i thought a quick post here would get ball rolling. On thinking about it, it would be nice to have a device that doesnt require too much cleaning - as the cleaning is abrasive.

TIA

Dan

----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!
No D, just plank - and its not my fault

Hi

I'd look at getting a LTO1 drive which will hold 100/200Gb (usually looking at about 150Gb compressed).

Something like this if you are looking at external;-

All drives would need a cleaning tape running through them occasionaly as it isn't just cleaning the drive it's also recalibrating it....you don't say what backup software you are using but, a lot of them will actually tell you when the drive needs cleaning....only do it when it's absolutely necessary as it decreases the life of the drive.

PinnacleData Systems Ltd (UK)

We are using Veritas.

Sorry i am at work so i cant go to Ebay (blocked).

What model was that?

It's a Dell LTO1 external drive....2nd user but, up for 'Buy It Now' at £275....was just showing it as an example.

Brand new, you would be looking at around £1200 I think for an external LTO1.

If you would rather have an autoloader then I'd look at the Adic Fastor series which are quite cheap .

Another thought is maybe to be a bit more intelligent with your backups and have your primary storage as raid disk and then if you need to offsite you could always make copies off to tape.

Sony's AIT format is self-cleaning and medium capacity. The problem is that its a single vendor proprietary format so tapes are pricey.

For your capacity I would second the vote for LTO format. It has multivendor support, is high capacity and high throughput. Are LTO1 drives still available new from vendors though? I would think new LTO2 drives are probably in the mainstream now at the best price/quality sweet spot.

For an LTO/AIT/DLT type solution though, expect to initially invest about $3000 - $5000(US) for the drive and enough tapes for a good rotation.

A DAT autoloader might work as well to get your tape capacity up and price down, but then you're starting to juggle a lot of tapes and the spanning of backups across tapes always gives me the willies.

When you say self cleaning - presume it still needs cleaning tapes?

D

Yep...you can still get LTO1 from vendors (even HP)..you can even get DLT from some.

The AIT drives are self cleaning under uses that would be similar to a white-collar business office. There are cleaning tapes available, and the drive does have cleaning indicators, for use in more extreme conditions.

I would still put LTO formats at the top of the list for consideration though.

Are you using Backup Exec or Netbackup. At any rate, you can purchase a StorageWorks tape library from HP where you can load up to 23 tapes and 1 cleaning tape. It is more manageable for you.

Regarding cleaning the drives, that is in evitable. That is part of maintaining a tape library.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back