Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommended Multimeters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzaboy

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I'm wanting to purchase a Digital or Analogue Multimeter for my toolkit for PC testing purposes ie: cable continuity, PSU / component tests etc..

Can anybody recommend any features in particular to look out for when purchasing one or will any average meter be ok?

Thanks,

:.DaZ.:

Any standard digital multimeter will work. Microtest is a great tester for testing CAT 5 cabling.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the feedback. :eek:)

Just eyeing up a few on eBay as we speak..

Cheers,

:.DaZ.:

You really will need both. And just about any handheld will be sufficient.
Buy inexpensive stuff. That way you don't cry when you break it.
If you are heading into full time service, plan on buying 2 of each. Nice to have the backup set at the house when somebody breaks into the car and steals the work set. Or when you need one at 3am because you dropped the toolbox one off the top of the ladder.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks.

Going off what you've just said, the difference in prices between the lower end and better named meters are unbelievable.

It's not gonna be used for full time service, just hobby stuff for myself and friends.

At component level I wouldnt have thought the (better) cheaper meters would be any different to the expensive ones?

Cheers,

DaZ

The digital multimeter I liked the most was a pen style meter called the Zip.

It was 3.5 digit, autoranging with Volts, Ohms and continuity.

Loved the thing and used it until it broke.

I replaced it with something that looked similar, but doesn't operate in quite the same way.

Boo Hoo as they say.

The worst meter I ever bought was a 6.5digit one off ebay.

It lasted exactly one week.

Ho hum...

rgds
Zeit.

It can be very handy to have a small, cheap analog meter around for doing continuity checks...often you're at one end of the room and testing at the other...seeing the needle deflect is often more reliable than registering a 0 on the digital face, and using the diode tester beep might be inaudible.

tmp.Worldwide
Business Objects 5i
Systems Integrator
Pfizer Global Research and Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back