Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommended max number of files in a folder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddrafts

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2002
US
I have been looking on Microsoft’s site for Windows 2003 to find the Recommended Max number of files to a folder so that I will not lose performance. I’m looking because the Co that is doing a project is going to store a lot of WAV files in one directory. We need to keep the files for more than 5 years. So I’m expecting about 300,000 a year. I’m trying to get them to create a directory for each date but they are stating that it will be no problem.

Thanks for the help.

That was a great link. Thanks.

What I'm concerned about is the performance when there is over 100,000 files. Is it going to take more time for the Application to pull back the file in question? Is so is it going to get slower the more files that are in their?

Microsoft seem to consider 300,000 to be the number of files that might effect performance, but simply suggest that turning off shortname support can alleviate this (the way the shortnames are worked out is the cause of the performance hit).

Trouble is that it isn't generally NTFS that is the bottleneck: it is the shell. Explorer can grind to a halt with more than a few thousand files, but I've never found any definitive figures for this. Applications that are not browsing the folder should not be adversely affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back