Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations for good backup software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroboy

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2006
CA
Hi, I am currently using Symantec Ghost console to backup about 12 different servers from one central backup server. The servers that are being backed up will have to shut down and boot into ghost client to create an image. Some servers can't even link up with ghost console (I think their network cards are too old or something), so I have to insert a PE builder CD and do backups locally with Ghost 8.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a backup software that will allow me to backup all servers, whether they are running windows server 2000 or 20003, without having the server shut down? and that I can run all centrally from one backup server?

I would also recommend Backup Exec. You will also need to invest in an external tape drive(s) and tapes.

You will also need to invest in an external tape drive(s) and tapes.

I disagree... maybe. Tape drives are NOT an appropriate backup device for all situations. Your situation is not clear, but if you're backing up only 200-300 GB (or less) with little data growth and no need to retain the data for lengthy periods of time, then tape is a waste of money.

Backup Exec was decent... maybe still is. But it's now a symantec product. And while past performance is no gaurentee of future stupidy, I would be very wary of using it - and newer versions - now that symantec owns it. You might want to explore other backup software, including Acronis True Image server products and ArcServe products.

Sotty, but I forgot to mention that we already have veratis backup exec 10 on our backup server. Thing is, we only use that for writing images onto tape. So, the thing is, i Need dedicated software to create all the images in the first place, before using backup exec to place them on tape. I do not want to directly create images and put them on tape.

Alright...I will try out acronis and see how it goes. Thanks!

Ah, I know i'm late on this but I just setup;
Veritas BackupExec for our 3 servers (tape drive) and Red Boomerang for Off site backup (done weekly)...

before this we used ntbackup and it worked flawlessly (until we had too many jobs scheduled and then errors came)... but its free and efficient for minimal duties.

BackupExec is great and tech support is outstanding.

Acronis is good... we use it for quite a bit of our customers, but the licensing can get pricy with that many servers. Honestly, a well written differential xcopy script (with a NAS) works quickly, will not impact work, and coupled with blat and appropriate logfiles can be just as effective (and free) as some of the other backup solutions. I would absolutely stay away from tapes in your situation, they are cumbersome and frankly unreliable.

Chris Clancy, EnCE
Miles Technologies
clancy@4miles.com

I don't know if this will work for your situation, but I use Double Take for data replication. I use this to replicate all of our servers and then do a back up to tape with Backup Exec.

I've been using Acronis and have been impressed with it - good forum support as well.

I have been doing alot of work lately with MS DFS. It is a bit of a pain in the intial setup (depending on whether or not you want multiple namespace servers with failover.) In terms of quick data replication though, it is very good. If your servers are all replicating (or replicating to a centralized storage media) it may decrease the overhead of a 12 server backup system and provide multiple points of data redundancy.

Chris Clancy, EnCE
Miles Technologies
clancy@4miles.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back