Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recommendations for a wireless networking solution???

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiflygirl

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2002
US
I am in need of a wireless networking solution for a training room I have..

I need it to be 802.11a compliant, 55 MBit, 16 computers, 1 desktop - no need for the internet - just confined LAN within room. pretty basic.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to an appropriate solution??

thanks,
Amber

The cheapest and probably the best route would be to run Cat5 and three switches - but you said 802.11a, so that means if you want them all wireless you'll have to buy 16 Access points and nic cards for each or buy usb ready acces points. It is really pretty simple - - - just open up your wallet and say "Goodbye," but won't it be nice!!!

Mac MAXIMUM ACCESS, LLC.
North Louisiana's High Speed
Wireless Internet Service
318-728-8600 318-728-9600

I use SMC at home. It took me a while to configure it for the internet, but when I found out that my ISP uses a different subnet, I had it up and running pretty quick. If all you want is 16 machines hooking up to one desktop, you'll need 16 nics per dearman, and a wireless router connected to the desktop. Pretty simple to set up, and teck support at SMC was a lot of help. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Proxim Harmony and Cisco AP1220 have good 802.11a products at 54Mbps. My understanding is that you have 16 laptops. You can put 16 access points in the lecture room. 8 units on one SSID and the other 8 on another SSID. Each of the 8 units on a particular SSID will be on a non overlapping channel. There are 8 non overlapping channel in 802.11a. This means that there will be two WLAN of 8 PCs each. Each non overlapping channel can carry 54Mbps.

Now do you really need each PC to have 54Mbps throughput? If you are sharing graphics. I can understand the need.

AKP

First question is: What is your budget?

The least expensive method is to purchase an 802.11a access point (linksys about $100) which will connection to your hub/switch and 1 access device for each of the 16 PC's. If security is not an issue (and for training on a private subnet it shouldn't be) the Orinoco Silver can be had for as little $50 each or slightly more in USB form.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back