Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommend to host or not to host a website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnuttlaw

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2003
US
We are hosting our own domain and website and would like some seeds into my thinking of whether or not we should move our website to a 3rd party. I would still keep the email flowing directly into Exchange.

My chief concern is of course the security of our network and if I have our website elsewhere, there is one less avenue of hacking.

Is IIS secure? Anyone have any thoughts or what you are doing?

Why move it? Just curios.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Security is an ongoing process, so if you can spend the resources (time, hardware, money, people) needed to properly secure the IIS, IMHO it is as secure as fort knox (network point of view).

Be sure to properly harden the server, keep up with patches, be sure that the web programmer program securely, etc, DO AUDIT !!!.

However if you are constrained on resources, like most of IT organization now, then oursourcing is a good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back