Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommend a Home ADSL Modem Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stduc

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
It is time for me to get a new home router and get wireless capability. So, can anyone recommend one "that does what it says on the tin"?

I need one that can support 4 wired connections, has the ADSL modem built in, does ADSL2 and also does wireless. I also want a better firewall than the netgear that can block sites properly and I want it to also have the ability to report to a syslog server.

At present I have a netgear DG834 that has done sterling service despite the bugs. The big bug is described in this thread.

The reason for the comment "does what it says on the tin" is because the DG834 doesn't.

My DG834 has the following problems that drive me nuts.
Change almost anything and you have to login again.
You can't turn off the DHCP server. You can untick the 'use as DHCP server' - makes no difference!
You can 'pretend' to limit the DHCP IP allocation range - well pretend to - it ignores you.
You can set certain IP address's to be allocated to certain MAC addresses - Yeah - right - well you can try. LOL. Doesn't work.
Half the time it identifies an attached PC as UNKNOWN.
It will log an administrator login when successful. But it doesn't log failed attempts.

I could go on - like ariston - but I am sure you get the idea by now.

Don't get me wrong - it has served me well. But it's due for retirement.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

stduc, nothing special 'bout dsl router - besides everyone has their own opinion about which dsl router is best... All dsl routers (e.g., westell, 2wire, netopia, efficient, siemons, etc) should pretty much have all the functionality needed for "home" users. Of course, you would need the wireless model to surf wirelessly. if you have "special" config reqts, better research the specific router to verify the dsl router offer the firmware access you need.

P2E

The Speedstream 6520 4 port wireless modem/router is a decent devise for the money

Thanks for the responses. I will do as much research as I can before choosing. I guess my reason for posting was to try to minimize problems in the hope that people who were happy with their modem/router would post to say so.

The DG834 does not do what it says it does. Also Netgear support leaves a lot to be desired and now they deem it obsolete - it's non existent.

You can be sure I will take a look at Speedstream.

Ah, I see... After retiring both (several) Linksys & Netgear routers, I assumed that all "residential-grade" wireless routers were designed under the auspices of "you get what you pay for..." So, I decided to do a little research & found several (technical) ratings that listed the Dlink DIR-655 very high.

ALthough I am anti "pre-N" routers, I decided to get one & I have to say that overall I agreed with their assessments. It is a very good & robust wireless router. Knock on wood..

Jest' my 10cents worth...

P2E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back