Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recomendation for VPN router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul123456

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
US
Can anyone recommend a good VPN Client router? I have a 2k server and want to connect the two locations with 1 end being a VPN device and the other end the VPN server on 2k server. can someone recommend a good VPN device that they haven't had problems with?

Thanks, PAUL

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I tried three Linksys RV082 VPN routers, and a friend tried a fourth one, and we had problems logging in to the router, with the router not saving the password, and they don't login correctly on an ADSL PPPoE connection with bellsouth.net but the cheapo consumer grade Linksys BEFSR41 does. Linksys upper level tech support couldn't fix it. We returned all of them. Next I'm going to be trying the Netgear FVS318 and Netgear's client software.

I've used the Sonicwall's vpn client hardware. Didn't have any problems with it.
:)

Have you looked at Snapgear? I am happy with the results after six months. Using VPN from XP Pro, and a IPSec tunnel between two locations, Snapgear both ends.

Anybody else using Snapgear?

Jeff

ZyXEL ZyWALL routers work well. Even with the RV082's.

I love the VPN technology and want to set it up on my Linksys Wireless B router connected to an XP Box. Will it work with the Wireless B access point? if so, what do I need to do?

Thanks,

Binary,

What are you trying to VPN the XP box to? (what's the other endpoint?)

Thank you for replying to my inquiry. I want the other end point to be my wireless Win98se laptop, which will eventually be upgraded to Win2k or WinXP. My laptop will VPN to my desktop (wired to my wireless B router). Is this possible, do I need a different router?

Binary,

Are you just looking to share files and printers? You would only need a VPN solution if your were trying to get two computers seperated by great distance using the Internet. If the two systems are plugged into (wired or wireless) then you can use standard MS Networking.

Let me know if I'm not understanding your scenerio.

Greg

yes, I am actually looking to share files from my desktop wired to the Linksys to my wireless laptop on my network. I would however also like to use a VPN solution remotely external to my network to be able to get full access to my desktop.

Your time is much appreciated!

Seth

binary,

You shouldn't have a problem using your wireless access point. There are a couple of routes you can go with the VPN from your home to the workplace. The simplest approach (assuming your office has a dedicated Internet connection) would be to install a VPN appliance at work that supports client/group VPN connectivity, (The ZyWALL 10 II for example), then install VPN client software on your home machines, (SSH Sentinel). Configure the appliance and the client and your there.

Hello,

Please advise if multiple VPN clients are able to run on a standard BT ADSL line, using a Speedtouch 510 Router. The current problem is as one of the other clients connect the other is dropped. Any ideas? Is it the line configuration or router config?

Going bald trying to figure this one out....

PaulEE:

> Next I'm going to be trying the Netgear FVS318 and
> Netgear's client software.

Did you try it yet?

Or does anyone else have an option about this piece of hardware?

/mk

I just recently obtained a NetGear FWG114P. I have successfully made a VPN Client (ProSafe) connection to it over the public internet. This is an amazing machine. It has a USB print server, very complete logging capabilities, as well as 802.11g and RS-232 fail-over to dial up or LAN-to-LAN connection, NAT, Firewall, and MAC adress filtering.

I cannot say enough good things about it. Also, tech support answers the phone alomost right away (for the first 90 days free), and they turned around a firmware fix in a week when I reported a bug. If you need a USB printserver, and wireless-g as well as VPN, this is the one for you!

You will need to get the ProSafe Client if you need to do VPN, which is a re-branded version of SSH-Sentinel, (which might also work.) You can buy ProSafe from NetGear or perhaps persuade your salesman to kick it into the deal - heh heh.

This is for maxamilloye,

You can use a BT ADSL Line for multiple VPN clients. However, your Speedtouch 510 router may not allow multiple VPN pass thru to a VPN Server (If that is what you are trying to do). We use a ZyXEL 652 and it works fine for multiple PPTP pass thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back