Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receptionist needs more info at extensions, calls on HOLD vs. PARK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCM50

Technical User
Jul 21, 2005
US
Pardon my basic question, but my receptionist is having trouble on our new BCM50 system knowing the status of a extension when a caller is put on HOLD. Her reception handset shows no info that a call is on hold, she assumes the person (extension) is available for another call - and transfers it. The person (extension) says to her later, "Hey, don't send me a new call, I'm still working on my first call, I just put it on hold for a second". Our old Executone system showed when an extension was on hold - so we never had this serious new problem before.

The vendor who set us up, confused everyone with terms like, PARK a call, or HOLD a call. Then he used more terms like HUNT group, INTERCOM and made CALL 1, CALL 2, CALL 3, CALL 4 buttons on our handsets. After about two weeks of re-configuring the PBX and handsets buttons, over and over again, we all gave up. Now we are afraid to call him, and want a new Seattle Nortel tech. (help)

His other workarounds to show a a busy extension:

1. He said we could use our MUTE buttons instead of HOLD
2. or USE DND (do not disturb) button along with hold,

but I have to think there is a better way. Is there?

Question: What is the difference betweet all the ways to place a call on hold (when you DO NOT want a 2nd new call to interupt you)? Can 3rd party reception PC console screens like or provide this CALL ON HOLD info?

Thanks,

Joe
Seattle
Insurance Agency

What type of set is the operator using? are you lines copper or PRI?

If the receptionist has a M7324 set, and has spare buttons on
it, you can program internal autodials to the extentions that she wants to transfer to. If the user is on the phone, it will display an arrow beside the user to indicate that they are on the phone. Failing any spare buttons, you can use a CAP module on the M7324 set (a maximum of 3 CAP's on the set) or a KIM module on a T7316 (a maximum of 2 KIM's on that set).

Inquire with your installer about which would best suit your needs.

There are only 2 seasons in Canada, Golf and Snowmobile season.

Thanks for the replies - to answer:

1. Yes, we have PRI lines with more DIDs (24) than extensions (15), though these don't work as planned, so we don't make them public...as they just don't ring, bounce-to-receptionist or go-to-voice mail correctly. The reason I am told by the vendor are issues with Day/Night voice-mail, # of rings, bounce back to receptionist, etc. They just do not work as planned, vendor can not, or will not sort it out. Are we the only human-receptionist 9-5 company, and voice mail driven afterhours? Vendor thinks so. Seems DID and Auto Attendant conflict with this human receptionist issue - no night/day "profile" to sor this out? As such, we don't use our DID lines much, is this a fact everyone else deals with with modern phones? Only older Executone-era PBXs can do this?

2. We all have Norstar T7316E handsets, and the receptionist has the this same T7316E + Norstar T24 KIM (NT8B29). With 15 extensions - this seems more than enough, and many buttons on the KIM are unused.

3. We even have a dedicated WinXP Dell touchscreen 15" LCD display exclusively running receptionist console software - the aformnentioned CONSOLE.NET/Visual Call Mgr. bound to our BCM50 via LAN CTE. This gives the receptionist, and her backup receptions, some relief and confidence with the switchboard handling of 8000 customers in our small business, but it still does not work right. Example - the CONSOLE.NET seems very promising for our "transfer/who's on hold needs", but does not support the current BMC50 software release, caller ID name an number data DOES NOT pull through. The Convertec people has generously given us a free Visual Call Mgr solution in the meantime, until Nortel provides a software solution.

Thanks for any further help!

Joe
Seattle
Insurance Agency

Don't know why you can't use DIDs for your users. Vendor should be able to work it out. I admit the 50 does have a little different interface, but anyone familiar with Norstar/BCM can figure it out.

If it's any help, the documentation for the 50 is in the 50. You should be able to program internal autodials yourself. That should give you indications of user status.

Park and page works well in small offices. Also system wide call appearances (call 1,2,3,4). I suspect that is what the vendor attempted to setup.

If your vendor hasn't answered your questions or explained how the features work, then maybe a new vendor is in order. At the very least the company that sold the system should send a different tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back